1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of waves in liquids

1. Nov 6, 2003 #1
    For my A level coursework I have to come up with and carry out an experiment. I have chosen to investigate the speed of waves in liquids. I plan to use a ripple tank, set to create waves of a certain frequency, which I will vary. I will measure the wavelength and use the equation v = fλ to find the speed.

I found an equation on this page , which looked to be of use: v = √(gd) where g is acceleration due to gravity and d is the depth of the liquid. I will use this equation to verify the speed.

In the next stage of my investigation, I planned to relate the speed of the waves to the viscosity of the liquid they are in. Intuitivly, I feel there should be a relationship between the two, however, I have not been able to find one online or in textbooks. Also, the fact that v = √(gd) suggests that it doesn't matter what the liquid is, the speed will always be the same for any liquid of the same depth.

Could someone please advise if there is a relationship, or if wave speed is independant of the liquid. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2003 #2
    I don't know, but I doubt it. You should consider the possibility that v = √(gd) is just a model that someone found to give a reasonably accurate description of some waves in some circumstances, rather than a law of the universe.

You should do your experiment, see what you come up with, and let v = √(gd) be one possible relationship which your results may confirm or contradict.

Keep an open mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?