Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spontaneous Energy Loss in Light

1. May 25, 2003 #1

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. Does light ever spontaneously lose energy? What I mean is, would, say, an infrared wave be traveling along and suddenly shift to microwave radiation, and maybe later to a radio wave, without any outside influences having affected it? If external influences do cause EM to lose energy, what natural circumstances would do that?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Last edited: May 25, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2003 #2
    I never heard about LOSS of energy (=frequency) by a photon.

4. May 25, 2003 #3
    Loss of energy?

Light can loose energy but it depends on the medium. Wave spontaneously doesn't loose or gain energy. If that's the case we would have radiowaves from X ray machines and Gamma rays from radio stations. Only time photons loose energy is when they collide with a particle

Last edited: May 25, 2003
  5. May 25, 2003 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

So I might assume then, that if the universe were to expand eternally, any light that's ever been emitted and not colliding with a particle will continue forever at the same frequency?

6. May 25, 2003 #5
    Yeah and No! most likely

Remember tired light theory. The wavelengths of the all photons lost energy through interactions with matter en route to earth. This means that almost all photons that interact with earth must have atleast once collided with a matter or even a particle. So it's extremly rear you find a photon not collide with a matter continuing at their original frequency. I beleive you will never find a photon not come in contact with matter ever since they have been emmited. If at all a photon never comes in contact with matter it should continue to move in the same frequency that they have been emitted. But let's wait till astrophysicists tell their ideas. Matter of fact Universe is expanding and galaxies are moving farther away from each other.

7. May 25, 2003 #6

drag

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    Compared to the Universe as a whole - yes.
    BUT, to us, being inside the Universe, the
    frequency of EM waves decreases due to the
    Universal expansion. An example is the Cosmic
    Microwave Background Radiation. Shortly
    after the BB the CMBR was EXTREMELY energetic
    but then as the Universe expanded the frequency
    and hence energy of these waves decreased until
    it reached its current microwave frequency
    spectral range (and it will keep decreasing).

Live long and prosper.

8. May 25, 2003 #7
    drag: really?

So you are saying as the universe expands the frequency decreases?

9. May 26, 2003 #8
    Re: Yeah and No! most likely

Not true. It simply means that you are in moving differently than the source reference system (Doppler effect as a mathematical coordinate transformation result).

10. May 26, 2003 #9
    Lower than radiowave state is still radiowave (just with lower frequency: 1000000 Hz, 60 Hz, 0.00001 Hz). No additional speculations needed.

11. May 27, 2003 #10
    Oh...ok!

So in reality a photons cannot loose all of it's energy?

12. May 27, 2003 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photons exist due the change in energy created when an electron changes orbitals. Likewise all photons cease to exist when they induse the reverse transition within an atom. Thus photons are pure energy, they are our conceputalization of how atoms exchange energy, this is the case for all photons. So do not attempt to consider photons with out some understanding of the nature of atoms.

13. May 28, 2003 #12
    Re: Oh...ok!

Nope. Energy concerves.

14. May 29, 2003 #13

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

:frown:

15. May 29, 2003 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think all that is necessary. Sure, atomic transitions emit light, but that is not the only source. There is also Brehmssrahlung, which is readily understandable without the gory details of atomic physics.

16. May 29, 2003 #15

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Re: drag: really?

Anil, this is true.

this post of yours did not get a response in the thread.
    You were replying to what Drag said about some very old light that has declined in frequency and quantum energy over the years:

Drag said:
    [[...the
    frequency of EM waves decreases due to the
    Universal expansion. An example is the Cosmic
    Microwave Background Radiation. Shortly
    after the BB the CMBR was EXTREMELY energetic
    but then as the Universe expanded the frequency
    and hence energy of these waves decreased until
    it reached its current microwave frequency
    spectral range (and it will keep decreasing).]]

So you said "does the frequency really decrease as space
    expands" and yes indeed it does. The frequencies in the
    CMBR have declined by a factor of 1000.

Space stretching out makes their wavelengths longer and
    that lowers their frequency by the same factor. Space
    has expanded by a factor of 1000 since those photons were emitted
    and so their wavelengths are 1000 times longer and
    their frequencies correspondingly lower.

That light which drag was talking about is believed to be
    almost as old as the universe----having been emitted only
    some 300 thousand years into its history.

interesting stuff, i think

17. May 29, 2003 #16

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Re: Anil's question about light losing energy

Maybe not all, without being absorbed, but a photon can lose 999/1000 of its energy and there are
    trillions of photons in the space around us which have already done that----Cosmic Microwave Background photons.

Someone already replied to this post, but in a misleading way, suggesting that a photon can NOT lose any energy because
    of something called "energy conservation" but this is untrue.
    They CAN lose nearly all their energy.

In principle one can lose everything but a tiny remnant like a millionth of its energy. Or even all but a billionth. This is simply with the expansion of space---not by interacting or being absorbed by anything.

18. May 29, 2003 #17

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Radiowaves are a form of light which is made by antennas.

Shall I not attempt to consider photons unless I have made a study of antennas?

X-rays and radiowaves are forms of light. X-rays are not made by orbital-change in atoms but by a beam of electrons hitting the wall and having to stop abruptly.

I think I must understand abrupt stopping before I try to understand light.:smile:

It seems that light has something to do with the acceleration and deceleration of charge---electrons in particular.

Changes in momentum---maybe there are changes in momentum inside atoms when they emit and absorb light.

Might be understandable in a general way without studying atoms specifically.

19. May 29, 2003 #18

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Re: Re: drag: really?

Is this true? I'm unfamiliar with it . . . . could you recommend something I might read to get up to speed about it? I agree, intersting stuff, to me anyway.

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  20. May 29, 2003 #19

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Brehmssrahlung? . . . I'll do a Google search and read up on it.

EDIT: No hits at Google . . . is that the correct spelling?

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  21. May 30, 2003 #20
    Re: Re: drag: really?

Wait, just only 1000 times?? 13billion lightyears radius that was once singularity, expanded just 1000 times?
    And, if even photon looses energy due to expansion, then anything should loose energy to expansion. Or, even, which is first, expansion causing loss of energy, or loss (dissipation) of energy causing expansion?

LW, google for bremsstrahlung

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?