Can You Attach a Metal Rod to a Stretchable Spring for a Horizontal Launcher?

In summary, the participant is seeking assistance in attaching a metal rod to a stretchable spring to create a horizontal spring launcher. The suggested design involves a rigid frame with a pull piece and a fixed part, and the spring would be compressed between the two. The easiest way to construct this device would be to use a long bolt, three nuts, and glued-together washers.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

I want to attach a metal rod in between a stretchable spring to build my horizontal spring launcher but I have no idea how to attach one or even if design would be possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of a design http://i.imgur.com/I0I3X.jpg, but I don't think that it would be ... "firm" or stable.

Physics news on Phys.org
well looking at your picture i would look like you'd just like to screw a spring over top of a bolt.

If you wanted to make a rigid spring launcher i'd suggest making a rigid frame

NJULN.png

i'm not sure specifically what you want to launch the spring itself or something at the end of it. What i was thinking is something like what a pinball machine uses.

where the black part to the left is the pull piece

the red part is the rigid part which is fixed in place

the green part is so it doesn't break

when you pull on the black part on the left you will create a spring potential and when you release it the pin will shoot to the right.The easiest way to accomplish this device would be to take a long bolt 3 nuts and [some washer which are glued together to make the rigid part]

How exactly is the spring attached to the bolt though? Because when you pull on the bolt, the spring should extend to create the elastic potential energy.

Actually in my diagram the spring will be compressed

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your idea for a spring launcher design. Your design looks interesting and could potentially work, but there are a few things to consider before proceeding.

Firstly, it is important to determine the purpose of your spring launcher and what type of objects you will be launching. This will help determine the strength and stability needed for your design.

Secondly, attaching a metal rod to a stretchable spring can be challenging. You will need to find a way to securely attach the rod to the spring without damaging the spring's elasticity. You may also want to consider using a material that is lightweight but strong, such as carbon fiber, for the rod.

Another factor to consider is the force needed to launch the object. Your design may need to be adjusted to ensure that the spring can provide enough force to launch the object effectively.

Overall, it is important to carefully plan and test your design before building it to ensure its functionality and safety. You may also want to consult with a mechanical engineer or other expert in this field for further guidance and assistance.

Best of luck with your project!

1. How does a spring launcher work?

A spring launcher is a device that uses the stored potential energy of a compressed spring to launch an object. When the spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the object forward.

2. What factors affect the performance of a spring launcher?

The performance of a spring launcher can be affected by various factors such as the type and strength of the spring used, the weight and shape of the launched object, and the angle and force at which the spring is released.

3. How do you determine the optimal spring strength for a launcher?

The optimal spring strength for a launcher can be determined through experimentation and testing. The spring should be strong enough to provide sufficient force to launch the object, but not too strong that it causes damage to the object or the launcher itself.

4. Can a spring launcher be used for different types of objects?

Yes, a spring launcher can be designed to launch various types of objects as long as the spring strength and other factors are adjusted accordingly. This makes it a versatile tool for different applications, such as launching rockets or projectiles.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a spring launcher?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a spring launcher. This may include wearing protective gear, keeping a safe distance from the launcher, and properly securing the object to be launched. It is also important to carefully handle and store the spring to avoid any accidents.