1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Launcher Design

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to attach a metal rod in between a stretchable spring to build my horizontal spring launcher but I have no idea how to attach one or even if design would be possible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking of a design http://i.imgur.com/I0I3X.jpg, but I don't think that it would be ... "firm" or stable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2
    well looking at your picture i would look like you'd just like to screw a spring over top of a bolt.

If you wanted to make a rigid spring launcher i'd suggest making a rigid frame

NJULN.png

i'm not sure specifically what you want to launch the spring itself or something at the end of it. What i was thinking is something like what a pinball machine uses.

where the black part to the left is the pull piece

the red part is the rigid part which is fixed in place

the green part is so it doesn't break

when you pull on the black part on the left you will create a spring potential and when you release it the pin will shoot to the right.

The easiest way to accomplish this device would be to take a long bolt 3 nuts and [some washer which are glued together to make the rigid part]

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    How exactly is the spring attached to the bolt though? Because when you pull on the bolt, the spring should extend to create the elastic potential energy.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #4
    Actually in my diagram the spring will be compressed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook