Solving Spring Constant: x(t) = 1.5*sin(12.566*t)

• Thread starter zooboodoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, we discussed a problem involving a mass attached to a massless spring and oscillating according to the equation x(t) = 1.5*sin(12.566*t). We determined that the factor 1.5 represents the amplitude and 12.566 represents the angular frequency. Using the equation w=(k/m)^.5, we were able to solve for the spring constant, k. We also discussed the equations for total mechanical energy and maximum kinetic energy, and solved for the maximum velocity using the equation KE=1/2 mv^2. The final values for the maximum kinetic energy and velocity were found to be 53.29 J and 18.85 m/s, respectively.
zooboodoo
1. Homework Statement
A 300 gram mass is attached to a massless spring and allowed to oscillate around an equilibrium according to the equation: x(t) = 1.5*sin(12.566*t). where x is measured in meteres and t in seconds.

a.) What is the spring constant
b.) What is the total mechanical energy of the system
c.) what is the maximum kinetic energy of the mass
d.) what is the maximum velocity of the sytem

2. Homework Equations
F = -kx
Usp= (1/2)kx^2

I think the problem I am having is attempting to relate enough variables in one equation to try to solve for the spring constant, I think I understand that B and C will be the same, when Kinetic energy is at the highest potential energy will be = 0 and that will be same as the total mechanical energy, I just feel like I'm lost trying to solve for the spring constant

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I thought of trying to graph the equation of the graph given however i don't think that this is the apporpriate method to solve the problem, also i thought about substituting an arbitrary time to and try to solve for final velocity working backwards however I'm not sure how to use the equations I've learned to solve for these variables

Physics news on Phys.org
In the equation x(t) = 1.5*sin(12.566*t), do you know what 1.5 represents and what the 12.566 represents?

I found another equation online, x=Acos((2(pi)/T) * t) this is position versus time in simple harmonic motion which means that 1.5 is the factor by which it should oscillate between A/-A now from this can i calculate the maximum velocity by using simple substitution?

I believe the 1.5 would be the amplitude, and the 12.66 would be 2pi / T = 2pi/frequency?

zooboodoo said:
I found another equation online, x=Acos((2(pi)/T) * t) this is position versus time in simple harmonic motion which means that 1.5 is the factor by which it should oscillate between A/-A now from this can i calculate the maximum velocity by using simple substitution?

Yes,that is another equation for SHM when you start at max displacement.

But similarly, the equation you have is in the form [itex]x=Asin \omega t[/itex]

A is the amplitude and [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency.

For a spring how does [itex]\omega[/itex] relate to the spring constant,k?

i think i solved for T, 2pi / T = 12.566, T = .500, the equation relating w and k would be, w=(k/m)^.5 ,err, w= root(k/m)

zooboodoo said:
I believe the 1.5 would be the amplitude, and the 12.66 would be 2pi / T = 2pi/frequency?

Correct and 12.566 is the angular frequency.

Now for a spring,[itex]\omega=?[/itex]

ohhh so if 12.566 is the angular velocity, 12.566=root(k/m) k = 12.566^2 * m (in kilograms?) , k = 47.37?

zooboodoo said:
i think i solved for T, 2pi / T = 12.566, T = .500, the equation relating w and k would be, w=(k/m)^.5 ,err, w= root(k/m)

right, w=root (k/m) and w=12.566 from your equation.

zooboodoo said:
ohhh so if 12.566 is the angular velocity, 12.566=root(k/m) k = 12.566^2 * m (in kilograms?) , k = 47.37?

Yep, should be correct.

thank you very much! is it safe to replace frequency with "angular velocity" in other cases, for example when i try to solve for the mechanical energy

zooboodoo said:
thank you very much! is it safe to replace frequency with "angular velocity" in other cases, for example when i try to solve for the mechanical energy

That was a typo on my part, the [itex]\omega[/itex] is angular frequency.

Do you know the formula for the total energy when undergoing SHM?

E=Umax=1/2k(A)^2 , so, (1/2)(47.37)(1.5)^2 = E, = 53.29 J, does this seem like an oversimplification, or will my mass show up again, aside from in the calculation for k

zooboodoo said:
E=Umax=1/2k(A)^2 , so, (1/2)(47.37)(1.5)^2 = E, = 53.29 J, does this seem like an oversimplification, or will my mass show up again, aside from in the calculation for k

Correct.

You'll need to use the mass for another part.

and you know the answer to the other part for the max. kinetic energy.

I'm sorry I got slightly confused there, the equation is correct, but I need to use the mass again? I believe this was my total mechanical energy, which should be the same as the maximum kinetic energy, and from there, to solve the maximum velocity, i can plug into maximum KE=1/2 mA^2 * w^2, solve for w?

zooboodoo said:
I'm sorry I got slightly confused there, the equation is correct, but I need to use the mass again? I believe this was my total mechanical energy, which should be the same as the maximum kinetic energy, and from there, to solve the maximum velocity, i can plug into maximum KE=1/2 mA^2 * w^2, solve for w?

The max kinetic energy is 53.29 J, and KE=1/2 mv^2. Solve for v. (Not sure if that is what you meant but I took 'w' to mean angular frequency)

right, i got 53.29 and then used 1/2mv ^2 to get 18.85 for maximum velocity, thank you very much

What is the equation for solving spring constant using displacement-time data?

The equation for solving spring constant using displacement-time data is x(t) = A*sin(ω*t), where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.

How do you determine the spring constant from the given equation?

To determine the spring constant, you need to first identify the amplitude (A) and angular frequency (ω) from the given equation. Then, you can use the formula k = m*ω^2 to calculate the spring constant, where m is the mass attached to the spring.

Can the given equation be used to solve for the spring constant in all cases?

No, the given equation can only be used to solve for the spring constant when the motion is simple harmonic, meaning the displacement follows a sinusoidal pattern. If the motion is not simple harmonic, this equation cannot be used.

What are the units for the spring constant and how do they affect the equation?

The units for the spring constant are measured in Newtons per meter (N/m). These units affect the equation by determining the scale of the displacement and time values, as well as the amplitude of the oscillations.

How can the given equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

The given equation can be applied in real-world scenarios to determine the spring constant of a system, which can be useful in designing and predicting the behavior of springs in various mechanical systems such as car suspensions, trampolines, and door hinges.