How Can I Use My Spaceship to Reset My Clock?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of resetting a clock and using a spaceship that can go at 0.9C to do so. The Rev offers a humorous suggestion of using daylight savings time to reset the clock, while also discussing the effects of time dilation. The creator confirms that the conversation is just for fun and not a homework problem. The Rev then suggests using a trip away from Earth at 0.866C for two hours to reset the clock. The conversation also briefly touches on different types of clocks and their time adjustment methods.
The Rev
I don't know how to reset the time on my clock, but I do have a spaceship that can go as fast as 0.9C. How fast and how far will I need to go this weekend to properly reset my clock.

:rofl:

The Rev

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? If so you should ask in the homework forum...if not, what's it from?

The Rev said:
I don't know how to reset the time on my clock, but I do have a spaceship that can go as fast as 0.9C. How fast and how far will I need to go this weekend to properly reset my clock.

The Rev

Is your clock of the 12 hr or 24 hr variety?

The Rev said:

The Rev

At 2 a.m. on Sunday morning set your clock forward to 3 a. m. That ought to take care of things... :rofl: And don't be late for church. :wink:
Creator

Last edited:
JesseM said:
Is this a homework problem? If so you should ask in the homework forum...if not, what's it from?

It's just for fun. I thought it would be amusing to post this, considering that a) it's daylight savings time this weekend, and b) since there are so many "what if?" questions about this or that SR scenario (usually in reference to a paradox). That's all.

o:)

The Rev

Ah, I had forgotten about daylight savings time, thanks for reminding me. OK, so if your clock is an hour ahead, why not just take trip away from Earth and back at 0.866c for two hours, during which time your clock will be ticking at half the rate as clocks on earth?

JesseM said:
Ah, I had forgotten about daylight savings time, thanks for reminding me. OK, so if your clock is an hour ahead, why not just take trip away from Earth and back at 0.866c for two hours, during which time your clock will be ticking at half the rate as clocks on earth?

Aah, but this weekend you need to set your clock ahead not back. Using this method will have your clock two hrs off the Clocks on Earth(1 hr due to time dilation, and 1hr due to the Earth Clocks being set forward an hr).

This is why I asked whether the clock was the 12 or 24 hr type.

For a 12 hr clock you want your clock to advance 13 hrs for 24 on the Earth clocks, (for instance, if both clocks read 12:00 when you leave, the Earth clock will read 12:00 again when you return having completed two cycles while your clock reads 1:00. When the Earth clocks are then set ahead for DST,the Clocks will match.

If your clock is the 24 hr type (either military or distinguishes between AM and PM), then you would wnat your clock to advance 25 hrs while 48 hrs pass on the Earth.

If it has a date function you'll have to travel for 2 years Earth time to reset the clock properly and if it also has the day of the week, you're screwed, because you'll have to travel for 54 years Earth time (28yr and 1 hr for you). If it keeps track of the last two digits of the year and leap year adjustments, just throw it away and buy a new one after the clocks change, otherwise you'll be gone for 400 yrs by your time, by which time our whole calendar may have changed.

For a 12 hr clock you'll need to travel at about .8406c
for a 24 hr clock you'll need to travel at about .8537c

You guys rule!

:approve:

The Rev

This was originally posted on April 1, of course.

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to time dilation?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It explains how time can appear to move slower or faster for an observer depending on their relative motion. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

2. What causes time dilation?

Time dilation is caused by the speed of an object relative to an observer. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object. This is due to the fact that the faster an object moves, the more energy it requires, and this energy affects the flow of time around the object.

3. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured using highly accurate clocks and comparing the time measured by an observer on the moving object to the time measured by a stationary observer. This difference in time is known as time dilation and can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations.

4. Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through various experiments and observations, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971 where atomic clocks were flown around the world and compared to stationary clocks. The results showed a small but measurable time difference between the two clocks, confirming the existence of time dilation.

5. What are the real-life implications of time dilation?

Time dilation has real-life implications, especially in the field of space travel. As objects travel at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, time dilation can occur, leading to differences in the passage of time for different observers. This can affect things like GPS systems, as well as the aging process for astronauts on long space missions.