Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SR and Time dilation problem

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    I don't know how to reset the time on my clock, but I do have a spaceship that can go as fast as 0.9C. How fast and how far will I need to go this weekend to properly reset my clock.

:rofl:

The Rev

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

Is this a homework problem? If so you should ask in the homework forum...if not, what's it from?

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is your clock of the 12 hr or 24 hr variety?

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    At 2 a.m. on Sunday morning set your clock forward to 3 a. m. That ought to take care of things... :rofl: And don't be late for church. :wink:
    Creator

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  6. Apr 1, 2005 #5
    It's just for fun. I thought it would be amusing to post this, considering that a) it's daylight savings time this weekend, and b) since there are so many "what if?" questions about this or that SR scenario (usually in reference to a paradox). That's all.

o:)

The Rev

7. Apr 1, 2005 #6

JesseM

Science Advisor

Ah, I had forgotten about daylight savings time, thanks for reminding me. OK, so if your clock is an hour ahead, why not just take trip away from earth and back at 0.866c for two hours, during which time your clock will be ticking at half the rate as clocks on earth?

8. Apr 1, 2005 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aah, but this weekend you need to set your clock ahead not back. Using this method will have your clock two hrs off the Clocks on Earth(1 hr due to time dilation, and 1hr due to the Earth Clocks being set forward an hr).

This is why I asked whether the clock was the 12 or 24 hr type.

For a 12 hr clock you want your clock to advance 13 hrs for 24 on the Earth clocks, (for instance, if both clocks read 12:00 when you leave, the Earth clock will read 12:00 again when you return having completed two cycles while your clock reads 1:00. When the Earth clocks are then set ahead for DST,the Clocks will match.

If your clock is the 24 hr type (either military or distinguishes between AM and PM), then you would wnat your clock to advance 25 hrs while 48 hrs pass on the Earth.

If it has a date function you'll have to travel for 2 years Earth time to reset the clock properly and if it also has the day of the week, you're screwed, because you'll have to travel for 54 years Earth time (28yr and 1 hr for you). If it keeps track of the last two digits of the year and leap year adjustments, just throw it away and buy a new one after the clocks change, otherwise you'll be gone for 400 yrs by your time, by which time our whole calendar may have changed.

For a 12 hr clock you'll need to travel at about .8406c
    for a 24 hr clock you'll need to travel at about .8537c

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8
    You guys rule!

:approve:

The Rev

10. Apr 3, 2005 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This was originally posted on April 1, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?