How does buoyant force relate to weight and pressure?

In summary, the net force experienced by a metal foil placed at a depth of 5 cm from the free surface of a rectangular vessel filled with water is zero, as the pressure exerted by the water at that depth is equal in all directions. The upper face of a cuboid placed in water experiences pressure due to the weight of the liquid column above it, while the lower face experiences pressure from the water below it. The resultant pressure on the cuboid is upward, creating an upward thrust on the cuboid due to the water. The pressure on the bottom of the cuboid is unrelated to the force of gravity on the water below it. This is a characteristic property of fluids. When a faulty barometer's tube is pushed down
ritwik06
Please look to the thread "9th Homework Doubts" first.

1.A rectangular vessel of volume 100 cm * 60 cm * 200 cm is completelyfilled with a water. Neglecting atmospheric pressure:
find the net force experienced by a metal foil placed at depth of 5 cm from the free surface.
Why ist it 0?

2.If a cuboid is placed at some depth in water. My book says that the upper face experiences pressure due to the weight of the liquid column above it. But why does the lower face experience pressure. The water under it exerts force downwards due to gravity. Isnt it?

My book says:
The resultant pressure on the cuboid will be upward, so it is responsible for the upthrust on the cuboid due to water.
Why upward. Pressure is scalar!

3. If the tube of a faulty barometer is pushed down into the mercury trough, the barometric height will further decrease. Why does this happen?

If a magnet is cut into exactly 2 equal parts , the magnetic strength of this part is half the magnetic strength of the original magnet.
Why does it get halved. What is the formula for magnetic strength>?
What is meant by uniform magnetic field?

5. If I am provided with two similar bars, one is a magnet and the other is soft iron. How can I distinguish between them with out using any other thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:
1.A rectangular vessel of volume 100 cm * 60 cm * 200 cm is completelyfilled with a water. Neglecting atmospheric pressure:
find the net force experienced by a metal foil placed at depth of 5 cm from the free surface.
Why ist it 0?

2.If a cuboid is placed at some depth in water. My book says that the upper face experiences pressure due to the weight of the liquid column above it. But why does the lower face experience pressure. The water under it exerts force downwards due to gravity. Isnt it?

My book says:

Why upward. Pressure is scalar!

3. If the tube of a faulty barometer is pushed down into the mercury trough, the barometric height will further decrease. Why does this happen?

Why does it get halved. What is the formula for magnetic strength>?
What is meant by uniform magnetic field?

5. If I am provided with two similar bars, one is a magnet and the other is soft iron. How can I distinguish between them with out using any other thing?
For question 1, hydrostatic pressure acts in all directions, upwards and downward and sideways and every way. Its pressure at a given distance below the free surface is just p = (water density)(depth). This is a thin foil, mind you. But in question 2, there is greater pressure on the bottom of the cuboid, since it has a greater depth below the surface than its top. Pressure is a scalar, but force (pressure times area) is a vector. The force on the cuboid up is greater than the force on the cuboid down. Whether or not the cuboid moves up depends on its weight. And although gravity exerts a force on the water down, this is unrelated to the force on the cube.

PhanthomJay said:
And although gravity exerts a force on the water down, this is unrelated to the force on the cube.

I understand everything except the above quoted line!:tongue2:

ritwik06 said:
I understand everything except the above quoted line!:tongue2:
I was responding to your question, "The water under it exerts force downwards due to gravity. Isnt it?" The water under it exerts a force upward due to hydrostatic pressure. There is a downward force on the water below the block due to gravity, but this has nothing to do with the upward force on the block, that is, the upward force would be the same regardless of how much water was below the block. But maybe I misinterpreted your question.

PhanthomJay said:
I was responding to your question, "The water under it exerts force downwards due to gravity. Isnt it?" The water under it exerts a force upward due to hydrostatic pressure. There is a downward force on the water below the block due to gravity, but this has nothing to do with the upward force on the block, that is, the upward force would be the same regardless of how much water was below the block. But maybe I misinterpreted your question.

Thanks! But I knew that. I was just thinking that how come the water will exert pressure upwards when the weight is acting downwards. I think there is no answer to that 'cause its a characteristic property of fluids, :zzz: isn't it?

ritwik06 said:
Thanks! But I knew that. I was just thinking that how come the water will exert pressure upwards when the weight is acting downwards. I think there is no answer to that 'cause its a characteristic property of fluids, :zzz: isn't it?
Yes, good point, it does get confusing. . Oddly enough, it is the gravity force on the column of water above the block, that is, the weight of that water column, that is responsible for the downward force on the top of the block, perpendicular to its surface. At the bottom of the block, there is no column of water above it, just the pressure of the water depth at that point that acts in all directions, but it is the vertically upward force (presure times area) that acts on the block. There's the weight of the block itself that also acts down on the block. Bottom line is that the difference between the water force on the bottom and the water force on the top is called the 'buoyant force', and is identically equal to the weight of the water displaced by the block , that is, its volume times the water density. Now if that doesn't confuse you, nothing else will.

What is the purpose of solving 9th homework doubts?

The purpose of solving 9th homework doubts is to ensure that students have a clear understanding of the material and are able to complete their assignments accurately. It also helps to identify any areas of confusion or difficulty that may need further clarification.

How can I effectively solve 9th homework doubts?

To effectively solve 9th homework doubts, it is important to thoroughly review the material and identify specific areas of confusion. Then, reach out to the teacher or a classmate for clarification and guidance. It may also be helpful to practice similar problems or seek additional resources for further understanding.

What should I do if I am unable to solve a 9th homework doubt?

If you are unable to solve a 9th homework doubt, it is important to not get discouraged. Instead, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and seek help from a teacher or classmate. It is also important to continue practicing and seeking additional resources to improve your understanding of the material.

Can solving 9th homework doubts improve my overall academic performance?

Yes, solving 9th homework doubts can improve your overall academic performance. By clarifying any areas of confusion and practicing problem-solving, you can gain a better understanding of the material and improve your skills. This, in turn, can lead to better grades and academic success.

Is it important to solve 9th homework doubts in a timely manner?

Yes, it is important to solve 9th homework doubts in a timely manner. Procrastination can lead to a build-up of doubts and confusion, making it more difficult to catch up on missed material. By addressing homework doubts as they arise, you can stay on top of your assignments and better understand the material.