1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing waves demo using a string

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    im trying to demonstrate a standing wave using a string..can anyone help me with ideas on how to preform such demonstration.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use a jump rope or something at least as long and fix one of the ends. You do have to give your arm a bit of a work out though.

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    im trying to mechanically show it using a string..nothing to do with my arms moving..
    i got to design a peice of equipment that will contain a string showing a standing wave..

5. May 4, 2010 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never done it with a string. I think that very light strings are harder to work with because they have little mass. The surrounding air may act as a dampener and make it more difficult for a reflected wave to sustain itself. You could try I guess but I have had good luck with using a long thin rope that had a little heft to it. Tie one end off on the end of a table and just wave your arm up and down.

6. May 4, 2010 #5
    It should be possible to construct a simple version of Melde's experiment using a small electric motor, a string, a pulley and some weights.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melde's_experiment
    http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Experiment_129.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. May 4, 2010 #6
    With ordinary string (or wire) you have to get a large amount of tension to make a decent standing wave.

Just go to a haberdasher (sewing shop) and obtain some sewing elastic and use that . It will work a treat.

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    Glue popsicle sticks to the string at the center of the stick all the way along the string side by side. Slightly weigh down the bottom of each stick with anything. Attach the string at both sides.

Now all you need to do is turn the first stick to 90 degrees and let go, then watch the standing wave from the top. Standing wave from a string... and sticks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook