Standing waves demo using a string

In summary, to demonstrate a standing wave using a string, you can use a jump rope or a long thin rope with some heft to it. Alternatively, you can construct a simple version of Melde's experiment using an electric motor, a string, a pulley, and weights. Another option is to use sewing elastic instead of ordinary string, as it requires less tension to create a standing wave. Additionally, you can glue popsicle sticks to the string and weigh down the bottom of each stick to create a standing wave.
solas99
im trying to demonstrate a standing wave using a string..can anyone help me with ideas on how to preform such demonstration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a jump rope or something at least as long and fix one of the ends. You do have to give your arm a bit of a work out though.

im trying to mechanically show it using a string..nothing to do with my arms moving..
i got to design a piece of equipment that will contain a string showing a standing wave..

I've never done it with a string. I think that very light strings are harder to work with because they have little mass. The surrounding air may act as a dampener and make it more difficult for a reflected wave to sustain itself. You could try I guess but I have had good luck with using a long thin rope that had a little heft to it. Tie one end off on the end of a table and just wave your arm up and down.

It should be possible to construct a simple version of Melde's experiment using a small electric motor, a string, a pulley and some weights.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melde's_experiment
http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Experiment_129.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
With ordinary string (or wire) you have to get a large amount of tension to make a decent standing wave.

Just go to a haberdasher (sewing shop) and obtain some sewing elastic and use that . It will work a treat.

Glue popsicle sticks to the string at the center of the stick all the way along the string side by side. Slightly weigh down the bottom of each stick with anything. Attach the string at both sides.

Now all you need to do is turn the first stick to 90 degrees and let go, then watch the standing wave from the top. Standing wave from a string... and sticks.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes where the amplitude of the wave remains constant.

2. How is a standing wave demo using a string set up?

To set up a standing wave demo using a string, you will need a string (such as a guitar string), two fixed points to attach the string to, and a way to create vibrations on the string (such as plucking or using a bow). The string should be tightly stretched between the two fixed points and the vibrations should be created perpendicular to the string's length.

3. What factors affect the formation of a standing wave?

The formation of a standing wave is affected by the frequency, amplitude, and tension of the string. Higher frequencies and amplitudes will result in more nodes and antinodes, while a greater tension in the string will result in a higher frequency standing wave. The length of the string and the properties of the medium it is traveling through can also affect the formation of a standing wave.

4. What is the significance of nodes and antinodes in a standing wave?

Nodes are points in a standing wave where the amplitude is always zero, while antinodes are points where the amplitude is at its maximum. These points are important because they represent the points of constructive and destructive interference between the two waves that create the standing wave. They also determine the wavelength and frequency of the standing wave.

5. How is a standing wave demo using a string used to measure frequency?

By adjusting the tension and length of the string and measuring the distance between nodes or antinodes, the wavelength of the standing wave can be determined. The frequency can then be calculated using the equation f = v/λ, where v is the speed of the wave and λ is the wavelength. This can be a useful tool in determining the frequency of a sound wave or the fundamental frequency of a vibrating object.