Statement made about pool table geomotry

• Thread starter Line Up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, studying pool table geometry allows for a better understanding of the game and how to make shots by understanding how the balls interact with the table. The shape and size of a pool table can greatly impact the game, with smaller tables having more clustered balls and larger tables requiring more precision for longer shots. There is a standard size for pool tables set by the World Pool-Billiard Association, but there are also smaller and larger sizes available for recreational play. The optimal angle for making shots on a pool table depends on the specific shot and the position of the balls, but a general rule of thumb is to aim for a 30-degree angle. Friction and spin can greatly affect the movement of pool balls on the table, with friction slowing
Line Up

Homework Statement

In the statement made it says there are only 3 angles for any given shot that is makeable .
the three angles are 45,30,15. All conclusions were based from a geometric point of view

Homework Equations

I understand how that is to be sorrect but can't fully explain it.tThe other part it says that you start ON THE SIDE THAT DOES NOT FACE THE POCKET.That is the part I don't understand and can not explain.

The Attempt at a Solution

6 months of reaserch. Note: I am a self tought kind of person. When I started to solve this equation I new nothing about geometry,after 6 months and help from the internet I do have a fairly good idea of the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
To start, let's look at the angles. The angles mentioned in the statement are 45, 30, and 15. These angles are all related to the same thing, the circumference of a circle. Specifically, each angle represents the same portion of the circumference, which is one-fourth. This means that for any given shot, there are only three angles that can be used to make it successfully: 45, 30, and 15. Now, let's look at why you start on the side that does not face the pocket. This is done because the angle you choose will determine the direction of the shot. So, if you start on the side that does NOT face the pocket, you will ensure that the ball will travel in the right direction. In other words, if you start on the side that faces the pocket, the ball may travel in the wrong direction. In conclusion, the statement made is true. There are only three angles that can be used to make a successful shot: 45, 30, and 15. Additionally, you should always start on the side that does not face the pocket to ensure the ball travels in the correct direction.

I appreciate the effort and dedication you have put into researching this topic. However, I must point out that the statement made about pool table geometry is not entirely accurate. While it is true that there are only three angles (45, 30, 15) that are makeable for any given shot, this is not solely due to geometric principles. Factors such as the position of the cue ball, the speed of the shot, and the friction of the table surface all play a role in determining the makeable angles.

Additionally, the statement about starting on the side that does not face the pocket is not accurate. The starting position for a shot on a pool table can vary depending on the desired outcome and the skill level of the player. It is not limited to one specific side.

I suggest continuing to research and learn about pool table geometry, but also consider other factors that can affect the makeability of a shot. As a self-taught individual, it is important to seek out reliable sources and consult with experts in the field to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

1. What is the purpose of studying pool table geometry?

Studying pool table geometry allows us to understand how the balls will interact with each other and the table, leading to a better understanding of the game and how to make shots.

2. How does the shape and size of a pool table affect the game?

The shape and size of a pool table can greatly impact the game by changing the angles and paths of the balls. For example, smaller tables may have more clustered balls, making it harder to make shots, while larger tables may have longer shots that require more precision.

3. Is there a standard size for pool tables?

Yes, the World Pool-Billiard Association has set a standard size for pool tables, which is 9 feet in length and 4.5 feet in width. However, there are also smaller and larger sizes available for recreational play.

4. What is the optimal angle for making shots on a pool table?

The optimal angle for making shots on a pool table depends on the specific shot and the position of the balls. However, a general rule of thumb is to aim for a 30-degree angle for the best chance of success.

5. How does friction and spin affect the movement of pool balls on the table?

Friction and spin can greatly impact the movement of pool balls on the table. Friction can slow down or speed up the ball's movement, while spin can cause the ball to curve or change direction. Understanding these effects is crucial for making successful shots.