1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Electricity and particles

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Particles of charge +70, +48, and -80 [tex]\mu[/tex]C are placed in a line, in the previous order. The center one is .35 m from each of the others. Calculate the net force on each charge due to the other two.

2. Relevant equations

F=kq1q2/ d2

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the force between each but according to my teacher im not doing this correctly could someone please tell me how i should go about doing this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Draw a diagram. Consider one charge at a time.

The ones on the end will be .35 and .7 distant from the other 2 respectively.

Be careful with the signs. Be careful with the units.

Be careful that you have taken care to note the direction of the force in each equation. (+,-) attracts and same sign repels.

Since forces are vectors then you must take that into account when you add them by superposition.
  4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    I thought thats what I was doing but after trying again i got the same wrong answer, I'm so confused about wht i should do with this problem!
  5. Jan 31, 2009 #4

Homework Helper

Show your calculation then for the middle charge.
  6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    F1= (9x109)(70 x 10-6)(48x10-6)/ .352

this equals: 246.86

F3= (9x109)(-80 x 10-6)(48x10-6)/ .352

this equals: -282.1

Then i did
    (246.862)+ (-282.12)= Q2

Q= 374C

but according to my teacher this is wrong... can you tell me what it is that im doing wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?