Static Friction of a Braking Truck

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum coefficient of static friction in order for a crate to not slide forward on a flatbed truck that is braking at a constant force. The given variables are the initial velocity, final velocity, and distance traveled. The relevant equations are F = ma, Fs = us * N, and V2 = V02 + 2AX. The key to solving the problem is to keep the mass in terms of the variable m.
Calam1tous

Homework Statement

A crate sits unrestrained on the back of a flatbed truck traveling along a straight road at a speed of 80km/hr. The driver applies a constant braking force and comes to a stop in a distance of 22m. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction between the crate and the truck bed if the crate is not to slide forward?

I took all the given variables which are:

Vi = 80km/hr
Vf = 0km/hr
(delta)X = -22m

Homework Equations

F = ma
Fs = us * N
V2 = V02 + 2AX

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that in order to get the coefficient of static friction (us), I would need the normal force of the crate (N) and the force of the static friction itself (Fs).

If I am correct that equation should be: Fs = us * N

However, I am puzzled because there's no vertical forces, so (N) should equal (mg). Yet, no mass or weight of the truck is given and I can't figure out how I would proceed with this problem using any other method.

I can also calculate acceleration using V2 = V02 + 2AX,
but I don't know what I would do with this value in relation to friction.

Am I doing it the completely wrong way or is there just something I'm not seeing? Just a simple pointer would help me greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Calam1tous,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Calam1tous said:
However, I am puzzled because there's no vertical forces, so (N) should equal (mg). Yet, no mass or weight of the truck is given and I can't figure out how I would proceed with this problem using any other method.
Just keep the mass in terms of the variable m. Trust me, you'll see what I mean later as you continue. :smile:

[Edit: added above welcome statement.]

Last edited:

1. What is static friction and how does it relate to a braking truck?

Static friction is the force that occurs between two surfaces that are in contact and are not moving relative to each other. In the case of a braking truck, static friction is the force that allows the truck's tires to grip the road and slow down or stop the truck.

2. How is the static friction of a braking truck calculated?

The static friction of a braking truck can be calculated using the formula Fs = µs * N, where Fs is the static friction force, µs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force between the truck's tires and the road.

3. What factors affect the static friction of a braking truck?

The coefficient of static friction and the normal force are the main factors that affect the static friction of a braking truck. Other factors that can also have an impact include the type and condition of the tires, the weight and distribution of the truck's load, and the road surface conditions.

4. Can the static friction of a braking truck be greater than the maximum possible value?

No, the static friction of a braking truck cannot exceed the maximum possible value, which is equal to µs * N. If the applied force on the truck is greater than the maximum static friction force, the truck's tires will start to slide and kinetic friction will occur instead.

5. How can the static friction of a braking truck be reduced?

The static friction of a braking truck can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of static friction, for example by using tires with a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight of the truck's load or increasing the normal force can also decrease the static friction. However, it is important to note that a certain level of static friction is necessary for the truck to brake effectively, so reducing it too much may compromise the safety and control of the vehicle.