Static Friction of a Braking Truck

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Calam1tous
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A crate sits unrestrained on the back of a flatbed truck traveling along a straight road at a speed of 80km/hr. The driver applies a constant braking force and comes to a stop in a distance of 22m. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction between the crate and the truck bed if the crate is not to slide forward?

I took all the given variables which are:

Vi = 80km/hr
Vf = 0km/hr
(delta)X = -22m

Homework Equations



F = ma
Fs = us * N
V2 = V02 + 2AX

The Attempt at a Solution



I figured that in order to get the coefficient of static friction (us), I would need the normal force of the crate (N) and the force of the static friction itself (Fs).

If I am correct that equation should be: Fs = us * N

However, I am puzzled because there's no vertical forces, so (N) should equal (mg). Yet, no mass or weight of the truck is given and I can't figure out how I would proceed with this problem using any other method.

I can also calculate acceleration using V2 = V02 + 2AX,
but I don't know what I would do with this value in relation to friction.

Am I doing it the completely wrong way or is there just something I'm not seeing? Just a simple pointer would help me greatly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Calam1tous,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Calam1tous said:
However, I am puzzled because there's no vertical forces, so (N) should equal (mg). Yet, no mass or weight of the truck is given and I can't figure out how I would proceed with this problem using any other method.
Just keep the mass in terms of the variable m. Trust me, you'll see what I mean later as you continue. :smile:

[Edit: added above welcome statement.]
 
Last edited: