1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Friction Text Problem

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    Hi, the problem I have is one dealing with static friction. The problem states: The coefficient of static friction between hard rubber and normal street pavement is about 0.8. On how steep a hill (maximum angle) can you leave a parked car?

I know that the downward force is "g" and that the normal force is equal to "g" since there is no acceleration. I am just having problems finding the angle. Our textbook is lacking in examples. I am not looking for an answer but a formula to use or even a hint.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

On a flat horizontal surface, the weight (mg) would point directly down. As the angle increases, the weight points down, but the component normal to the surface is reduced by the cos of the angle.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html#fp
    Look at the third pane.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  4. Feb 27, 2006 #3

Thanks for the help. The formulas and the diagram helped alot.
  5. May 1, 2006 #4
    Which textbook did you get that question from? can give me the ISBN # and the site you bought it from ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?