Static gravity as a two form

In summary, the concept of treating gravity as a two-form in static systems has been explored through the use of the "force at infinity," which is the local force multiplied by the time dilation factor between the observer's local clock and a clock at infinity. This two-form has been hinted at in Wald's book and is used to compute the enclosed Komar mass by integrating it over a sphere. The corresponding two-form is represented as \alpha _{ab} = \epsilon _{abcd}\triangledown ^{c}\xi ^{d} and it is still uncertain if it has a name or if there are any papers exploring this analogy. However, it has been shown that the locally measured force cannot be a two-form, but the
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I've been thinking recently that for static systems (it won't work in general), you can treat gravity as being a two-form if you use the scaled "force at infinity" rather than the locally measured gravitational force.

The "local force of gravity" is the acceleration of a worldline of a stationary observer (as measured by an accelerometer at the observer's worldline). The "force at infinity" is the "local force" multiplied by the time dilation factor between the observer's local clock and a clock at infinity.

I was wondering if this tensor had a name, or if there were any papers exploring this analogy. It's more or less hinted at in Wald, where he mentions that you can integrate the "force at infinity" around a sphere to get the enclosed Komar mass, but he doesn't actually define the corresponding two-form |f@inf_a u_b|, where f@inf is the "force at infinity" or give it a name.

Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
I've been thinking recently that for static systems (it won't work in general), you can treat gravity as being a two-form if you use the scaled "force at infinity" rather than the locally measured gravitational force.

The "local force of gravity" is the acceleration of a worldline of a stationary observer (as measured by an accelerometer at the observer's worldline). The "force at infinity" is the "local force" multiplied by the time dilation factor between the observer's local clock and a clock at infinity.

I was wondering if this tensor had a name, or if there were any papers exploring this analogy. It's more or less hinted at in Wald, where he mentions that you can integrate the "force at infinity" around a sphere to get the enclosed Komar mass, but he doesn't actually define the corresponding two-form |f@inf_a u_b|, where f@inf is the "force at infinity" or give it a name.
Are you sure it would be a two-form?, I would picture it more like a vector-valued one-form, at least I think the stress-energy tensor can be viewed as a bivector-valued one-form but I'm not really sure.
Maybe Ben Niehoff can shed some light here.

What page in Wald's book may I ask?

Is the corresponding two form you are referencing [itex]\alpha _{ab} = \epsilon _{abcd}\triangledown ^{c}\xi ^{d}[/itex]? Wald says if you integrate this over the 2- sphere it gives you the force needed to keep in place a unit surface mass density that has already been distributed over the 2 - sphere. Is that what you are talking about treating as the gravitational force? What would that mean physically since [itex]\alpha _{ab} = -\alpha _{ba}[/itex].

WannabeNewton said:
Is the corresponding two form you are referencing [itex]\alpha _{ab} = \epsilon _{abcd}\triangledown ^{c}\xi ^{d}[/itex]? Wald says if you integrate this over the 2- sphere it gives you the force needed to keep in place a unit surface mass density that has already been distributed over the 2 - sphere. Is that what you are talking about treating as the gravitational force? What would that mean physically since [itex]\alpha _{ab} = -\alpha _{ba}[/itex].

That's the one. Looks like re-reading Wald all my questions, except for whether it has a name, though it would be good to know if has a similar or perhpas simpler treatment.

TrickyDicky said:
Are you sure it would be a two-form?, I would picture it more like a vector-valued one-form

Ok, nevermind this.
For some reason I ignored the static setting and was thinking in terms of the general case.

After reading Wald's pertinent page I can see that gravity force is indeed a 2-form the way it is constructed as the integrand of a surface integral.
I do not know whether this particular static construction of the curvature form has a name, I doubt it, since usually curvature tensors are named for the general case given our universe is not static.
I'm curious, why are you interested in a static force?

So it's true that there is a 2-form that you integrate around spheres to give the Komar mass.

But in order to say "static gravity is represented by a 2-form force", you have a second non-trivial thing to prove. You must show that the acceleration measured by a stationary observer can be obtained from the 2-form via some Lorentz-force formula. Does this actually work out? I haven't checked. You might need to convert it to "force at infinity" first, like you hinted.

Also, what about boosted observers? Does the 2-form in question correctly give gravitomagnetic effects? I strongly suspect it will be off by factors of 2 or something.

I think Wald already shows the first part, you get the force at infinity by computing the acceleration of a static observer, and multiply it by the redshift factor to infinity. And that's what you integrate to get the Komar mass.

The locally measured force can't be a two-form, but the "force at infinity" seems like it should be.

I'll have to think about the second part, it's a good point and it might well be a problem.

Regarding the gravitomagnetic effects, isn't the 2-form gravity force at infinity constructed in the context of a static spacetime? In this case there wouldn't be any gravitomagnetic effects right?

It is a bit confusing because in the Wald refernce the Komar mass obtained from that 2-form is later generalized to stationary spacetimes.

If we're in a static space-time and choose the right coordinates,there shouldn't be any gravitomagnetic effects. But if we're really saying the force is a tensor (I hadn't really thought about the issue, perhaps because it was computed via a tensor formula), then it has to transform like one.

Even in a static space-time, we can ask if the expression tells us the "force on a moving mass" - I wasn't originally expecting it to.

But I don't think it can transform via the standard Lorentz transform. So, um...mumble mumble. Well, I need to think about it, and I just hope I get some time to do that.

1. What is static gravity as a two form?

Static gravity as a two form is a mathematical concept used in the field of general relativity to describe the gravitational field in a static space-time. It is a two-dimensional surface that represents the strength and direction of the gravitational force at each point in space.

2. How does static gravity differ from dynamic gravity?

Static gravity is a type of gravity that does not change over time, while dynamic gravity refers to a changing gravitational field, such as in the case of a moving object or a rotating planet. In static gravity, the gravitational force is constant at each point in space, while in dynamic gravity, it can vary.

3. What is the significance of static gravity as a two form in physics?

Static gravity as a two form is significant in physics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the gravitational field in a static space-time. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of objects under the influence of static gravity, such as the motion of planets in our solar system.

4. Can static gravity as a two form be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, static gravity as a two form can be applied to other fields of science, such as astrophysics and cosmology. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and the structure of the universe.

5. Is static gravity as a two form a complete explanation of gravity?

No, static gravity as a two form is just one aspect of our current understanding of gravity. It is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is still a subject of ongoing research and development. There may be other factors at play in the phenomenon of gravity that are yet to be discovered and understood.