Static moon question for a book

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of having a "static" moon in a book, where the moon is always between the planet and the sun, and appears as a crescent due to its position and lack of reflection of light. The idea is inspired by the L1 Lagrangian point and the potential for a moon made of a translucent material that transforms incoming light into "magic particles." The conversation also mentions the SOHO satellite, which is currently positioned at the L1 point for observing the sun.
soldierftl
"Static" moon question for a book

Hi there,

I was wondering if some scenario (about the moon) was possible for the book I'm writing (heroic fantasy) :
- my planet is a standard one, potentially bigger than earth
- I'd like my moon to be always between my planet and the sun, so whenever it's daytime, you "see" the moon. My guess is that the moon has to orbit on the other way the planet is rotating, at a revolution time around the planet equal to its revolution time around the sun (or almost to compensate the ellipsoid of the orbit + the distance between planet and moon). I don't need precise numbers, only an idea of what it needs.
So, is it possible ?
Can I also imagine a moon of pink quartz for instance ? (not a big one) My point is, all the photons from sun going through the moon transforms into a particule that provides magic while you are exposed to. As a consequence, my moon will be invisible except on its disk (every photons going through are no more light, but the ones reverbering on the disk are still photons). Hence the moon is not totally invisible, provides magic always during the day, wherever you live on the planet (I may have an issues at the poles though). I don't care if it takes ages to move on the other side of the planet (the moon can't really be "static" the way I want forever ^^)

thanks for responding, I appreciate your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi soldierftl! welcome to pf! :smile:
soldierftl said:
- my planet is a standard one, potentially bigger than earth
- I'd like my moon to be always between my planet and the sun, so whenever it's daytime, you "see" the moon.

the sun goes round the Earth once a year

you want the moon to go round the Earth once a year?

then won't it need to be at the same distance as the sun? :wink:

Sorry my english is quite bad ^^

I don't want the moon to go around the Earth at all. Actually, it would be like the moon was a planet, going parallel to the Earth on a smaller ellipsoid (so the moon will always be between the sun and the earth). But I want my moon not to be millions miles away from earth. I want it to be, like ours, around 345 000km away from Earth !

Do you think this is possible ?
In the moon referential, Earth will be immobile, turning on its axis.

Ah ! thank you very much, that was exactly what I wanted ^^
I knew Lagragian points, since I read some things about Theia, but it was not in L1.

So now I just have to do some calculus with the equations :)

And what do you think about this moon's visibility ? If it's smaller and farest than our moon, we won't see it at all, not even a circle right ? or we might ?

soldierftl said:
And what do you think about this moon's visibility ? If it's smaller and farest than our moon, we won't see it at all, not even a circle right ? or we might ?

(btw, it's "farther" or "further" :wink:)

if it's directly between the Earth and the Sun, there'll be a permanent eclipse

if it's a little to the side, it'll be visible as a crescent …

but i don't know how far to the side it can be without eventually drifting away completely

Earth, sun & moon are not aligned, so there will never be an eclipse

why is it a crescent ? because the moon doesn't reflect light to the Earth except on its frontier ? (speaking of it as a disk) or due to the Earth's shadow (which is not possible ?)

I was thinking what we would see on the early morning a point growing then a crescent then an ovoid then a crescent on the other side of the ovoid and finally some kind of point/trait : it will be the "contour" of our real moon going from new moon (no contour) to full moon and then new moon again (1 month contour condensated into 1 day on my planet). What's your opinion about it? Do you think this is what would happen ?
Remember that my moon is totally opaque (incoming light is transformed into "magic particle" at almost 100%, so only the ones reflecting on the sides of the moon are not converted)

soldierftl said:
why is it a crescent ? because the moon doesn't reflect light to the Earth except on its frontier ? (speaking of it as a disk) or due to the Earth's shadow (which is not possible ?)

i don't really understand what your pink quartz does

so far as reflected light is concerned, it must be a crescent for the same reason that the real Moon is a crescent when we see it near the sun in daylight

this is not real pink quartz. It was an example. The moon will be made of some translucid rock which transforms every photon that goes through into an other particle which is no more "light" but an other particle, a "magitron" for instance ^^ So the moon doesn't reverb any light to the earth, it should be black, but the process doesn't work at 100% and there is diffraction... so this is not a dark hole in the sky neither.

if it's off the Earth-Sun centre line, and doesn't reflect any light towards the earth, then you will never see it, just as we don't when our current moon is close to "new moon" position each lunar month.

Did you know there are already a satellites at the L1 Lagrangian point ?

The SOHO satellite was placed at that point for observing the sun. And because of its position between the Earth and the Sun it gave early warning of incoming Coronal Mass Ejections heading towards Earth

Dave

ah yes, I understand now ^^ In my mind, it would darken the sky where the moon is (like during the night, it would hide stars) but that's false on day !

So, if my moon reflect light only on its border like I said before, will it be visible ? You know, if only "almost tangential ray of light are reflected to the Earth ? Will it be like I explained (a dot growing into almost a circle) ?

And thanks for SOHO, I didn't know ! that's really interesting, I'll dig up more :D

What is the significance of the moon in scientific research?

The moon has been a subject of scientific research for centuries. It plays a crucial role in Earth's tides, influences the planet's climate, and has been used as a navigational tool for centuries. Additionally, studying the moon can provide insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system.

Why is the moon static?

The moon is considered static because it does not have any active geological processes like Earth, such as plate tectonics or volcanic activity. This means that the moon's surface has remained relatively unchanged for billions of years, making it an ideal target for studying the history of our solar system.

How does the moon's lack of atmosphere affect its surface?

The moon's lack of atmosphere means that it is constantly bombarded by solar radiation and micrometeoroids. As a result, the moon's surface is covered in a layer of fine dust called regolith and has many impact craters. It also means that there is no weather on the moon, allowing features on its surface to remain preserved for long periods of time.

What are some ongoing scientific studies on the moon's surface?

Scientists are currently conducting a variety of studies on the moon's surface, including mapping its topography and composition, studying the effects of lunar dust on human health and equipment, and searching for water and other resources that could potentially support future missions and settlements.

How does the moon affect life on Earth?

The moon's gravity plays a crucial role in Earth's tides, which are important for marine life and coastal ecosystems. The moon's orbit also helps stabilize Earth's tilt, which affects our planet's climate and seasons. Additionally, the moon has long been a source of inspiration for art, literature, and mythology, shaping human culture and perspectives.