Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Analysis of Casualties in the Palestinian - Israeli Conflict,

1. May 3, 2003 #1

kat

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2003 #2
    It would have been better if CAMERA wasn't such a pro-Israel site...

4. May 4, 2003 #3
    Oh I'm sure that Israel is very surgical when it comes to killing palestinians. The issue has more to do with geopolitical trade alliances than casualty statistics skewed for shock value however. The grossly uncivilized trade policies formulated by israel and america have caused far far more casualties worldwide than any number if suicide bombers. That's why we rule the world.

5. May 4, 2003 #4
    Anyways, this is apples and oranges. This is like comparing drug dealer shooting cops and innocents, to police gunning down civilians while chacing drug dealers. When looked at that way, NO statistical analysis is going to cover Israels crime against humanity.

6. May 4, 2003 #5

kat

All sites and reporters have their own brand of bias, zero. If there's something erroneous about the facts presented, please feel free to offer corrections.

You continuously insinuate that israeli's purposely and unscrupulously target and gun down children on a weekly basis, I thought you might be interested in looking at the some of the various issues involved, factually based.

7. May 4, 2003 #6
    For you, 'factually based' means 'pro-Israel, all the time', at least based on that CAMERA website.

Israelis gun down civilians indiscriminantly...the difference between them and Palestinian terrorists is that 1) they are better at killing Palestinians, 2) any time a Palestinian picks up a gun to defend himself he becomes a combatant, 3) the Israeli troops act in an official manner, supported by US tax dollars, so we have a right to look at it more closely.

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  8. May 4, 2003 #7
    Why are the vast makority of israli combatants killed 20 - 24?

Is this to do with conscription?

9. May 4, 2003 #8
    The majority of combatants anywhere would be in that age group I'd guess.... but yeah, Israel does have mandatory military service, unless you're ultra-Orthodox. :frown:

10. May 4, 2003 #9

kat

Well, again your response has fallen to insult and rhetoric, I specificly asked you to provide corrections to anything you disagreed with. Instead it appears that all your capable of is spewing forth hateful anti-israeli rhetoric without any factual or statistical support, apparently I should just shut up, stop posting my israeli loving rhetoric and take your word for it.

Maybe you should stop spewing hatred and support your position with facts and statistics.

11. May 4, 2003 #10

kat

Conscription starts at 18, according to this article in the 15-19 year old range only 19 year old combatants have been killed, no 18 year old combatants have been killed. That would explain the higher concentration of 20-24 year olds.

12. May 4, 2003 #11

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Kat:

Leftists can rarely support positions with facts. Demagoguery is their only weapon. Show some pity, please.

Regards

13. May 4, 2003 #12
    Kat,
    One person's facts are another person's opinions. What are facts and statistics without an ideological framework with which to make sense of them?

14. May 4, 2003 #13
    Hmmmm...if I don't bow down to pro-Israel interpretations of the facts, I am showing hate? If I don't bend over backwards to fit the statistics to put Israel in a positive light, I must be lying, huh?

And, of course, instead f thinking, you just say 'leftist', instead of using your brain.

15. May 4, 2003 #14

kat

Another post devoid of any facts or references (the term red herring comes to mind).
    again, where are the facts and references to support your opinion?
    Very simply, if you can offer no facts or reference your argument is unsupported opinion. please toss the rhetoric and support your statements, whether pro- or anti-, with facts and references.

16. May 4, 2003 #15
    I was using your facts and evidence against you...read it again. I simply said that comparing Suicide bombers to troops is like comparing apples and oranges, and stated several reasons why. If you don't like my reasons, argue against them, not at my 'hate'.

17. May 4, 2003 #16

kat

I'm not sure how you can use "my" facts and evidence against me, as I am not making an argument, only opening it up for discussion. I used the ICT statistics because it is the only one to date that I have found that identifies palestinians as combatants and non-combatants, and identifies deaths caused by palestinian against palestinian as seperate. It's also the only one I see that really addresses the issues facing children on both sides. Including the tragedy of palestinian children, particularly young boys from not only israeli soldiers but the encouragement and recruiting of hezbollah, fatah and government propaganda. If you can find a comparable site for comparision I have no problem at all looking at it.

Also,I'm sorry, I don't quite see how drug dealers and cops are valid comparisions?

18. May 4, 2003 #17
    Take what you call bare facts, nothing but lists of numbers, now interpret them, but hang on, don't give that job to a Palestinian or an Israeli, give it to an American and not just any American but one without a dog in the fight. Give the job of interpreting data to someone who knows nothing of the conflict, its history, the reasons why 'a' hates 'b' and vice versa.

What happens next? People with a dog in the fight say that their special situation has not been taken into account, that the interpretation has to be weighted to take into account the holocaust or the murder of Palestinian refugees, etc, etc. In other words, there is no such thing as a completely dispassionate interpretation of facts. Your values, your background, your agenda, they all all play in.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2003
  19. May 4, 2003 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kat isn't offering her own interpretation of facts, nor is she asking an independant to analyze them.

She's asking for you (that's a plural you) to provide facts and analysis.

20. May 4, 2003 #19
    But I'm too busy complaining to get my hands dirty with facts and analysis.

21. May 4, 2003 #20
    I DID provide analysis...but since it doesn't agree with thegeneral cheerleading for Israel, it is somehow invalid.

My point was, no matter how bad criminals are, the cops aren't allowed to kill children to getthem. In teh same way, I don't care if every single Israeli is killed by a terrorist, the soldiers are NOT ALLOWED TO INDISCRIMINANTLY KILL CIVILIANS.

That is such a hard concept for so many people to understand...but, Israel is 'special', so the rules don't apply to them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?