1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics-Probability Distribution of Discrete Random Variable

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A player of a video game is confronted with a series of opponents and has an 80% probability of defeating each one. Success with any opponent is independent of previous encounters. The player continues to contest opponents until defeated.

What is the probability that a player defeats at least two opponents in a game?
    What is the probability that a player contests four or more opponents in a game?
    What is the expected number of game plays until a player contests four or more opponents?

2. Relevant equations

f(x)=(1-p)^(x-1)*p
    E=1/p

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that these are Bernoulli trials.
    I chose Geometric distribution because the number of 'trials' is not fixed.

Defeat at least two opponents:
    pmf(1)+pmf(2)=cmf(2)=0.2+0.13=0.36

Contest four or more:
    1-cmf(3)=1-[pmf(3)+pmf(2)+pmf(1)]=1-0.488=0.512

Expected games to contest four or more:

1/0.512=1.9???This is an illogical answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might start by stating what your random variable ##X## represents. Although I can guess, you should tell us because there are a couple of ways the geometric distribution is set up and it needs to be clear to both of us.

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3
    X represents the number of opponents faced per set of trials.

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't shown enough calculation to follow what you did. I suspect you may be using the wrong formula for ##f(x)##. Are you using ##f(x) = .8^{x-1}\cdot 2##? So to defeat at least 2 opponents you want ## P(X \ge 3) = 1 - P(X=1)-P(x=2)##. I get ##.64## for that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook