1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam Engine work application problem

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a steam engine the pressure and volume of steam satisfy the equation PV1.4=k, where k is a constant. Calculate the work done by the engine (in ft/lbs) during a cycle when the steam starts at a pressure of 100 lb/in2 and a volume of 400in3 and expands to a volume of 1100in3.

2. Relevant equations
    Use the fact that the work done by the gas when the volume expands from volume v1 to volume v2 is:

W=∫V2v1 P dV

3. The attempt at a solution

As usual, getting hung up on where to start. So I tried to find k. Solving for k at the starting pressure of 100lb/in2 and volume of 400in3 I get a k=439,424.2

That # seems way high. Is the problem assuming the pressure is starting at these values (100lb/in2 and 400in3)??

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    interesting.... now I'm even more confused!

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    Our professor didn't say we needed any special formulas or anything - that we should know how to do this from our previous section's lessons. Where do I start? That link shows more variables than I have (I think) like lambda values, etc.

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    Please, any help would be appreciated. I'm not looking for an answer, just a push in the right direction. Here's what I've tried to do to start out:

-put integral in terms of V
    -break down Volume values and try to solve for r and h
    -ratio between starting values: 100lb/in^2 and 400in^3

?

7. Oct 27, 2011 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The attached article shows how to integrate P dV when PV^gamma = k (Note: there are no lambdas present.) Work is explicitly given in terms of initial pressure and initial and final volumes. (See section "Derivation of discrete formula")

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook