Steel mass attached to the ceiling, maximum height gain if it is hit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
needingtoknow
Messages
160
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 275 KG steel mass is held by a long cable to the ceiling. Daniel hits the steel mass horizontally and gives it a horizontal speed of 1.75 m/s. Assuming there is no friction, determine the maximum height gain, in centimetres, of the steel mass after the collision.


Homework Equations


W = Fd
E = 1/2mv^2
Eg = mgh


The Attempt at a Solution



These are the only three equations given in the question, and no angle is given in the question so how would I calculate the height at which the pendulum moves (if the question is suggesting that the steel block is moving in a pendulum fashion which I am not entirely sure of)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy. When it is at its highest point, the mass is not moving so all of its initial kinetic energy has been converted into gravitational potential energy.
 
All right so using the law of conservation of energy here is what I got.
1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh
1/2(275)(1.75) + 0 = 0 + (275)(9.8)h
240.625/2695 = h
h = 8.9 cm but the answer is 15.6 cm
 
Oh and I used the rest position of the steel block as my reference point because they didnt give the distance off of the ground.
 
Oh never mind I got the answer. Thanks for the helps HS-Scientist!
 
Yeah just realized that! I got 15.6 cm after I fixed that.