Steel mass attached to the ceiling, maximum height gain if it is hit

In summary, using the law of conservation of energy, the maximum height gain of a 275 kg steel mass after being hit horizontally with a speed of 1.75 m/s is 15.6 cm, assuming no friction and using the rest position of the steel block as the reference point.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

A 275 KG steel mass is held by a long cable to the ceiling. Daniel hits the steel mass horizontally and gives it a horizontal speed of 1.75 m/s. Assuming there is no friction, determine the maximum height gain, in centimetres, of the steel mass after the collision.

Homework Equations

W = Fd
E = 1/2mv^2
Eg = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the only three equations given in the question, and no angle is given in the question so how would I calculate the height at which the pendulum moves (if the question is suggesting that the steel block is moving in a pendulum fashion which I am not entirely sure of)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy. When it is at its highest point, the mass is not moving so all of its initial kinetic energy has been converted into gravitational potential energy.

All right so using the law of conservation of energy here is what I got.
1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh
1/2(275)(1.75) + 0 = 0 + (275)(9.8)h
240.625/2695 = h
h = 8.9 cm but the answer is 15.6 cm

Oh and I used the rest position of the steel block as my reference point because they didnt give the distance off of the ground.

Don't forget to square the velocity.

Oh never mind I got the answer. Thanks for the helps HS-Scientist!

Yeah just realized that! I got 15.6 cm after I fixed that.

Related to Steel mass attached to the ceiling, maximum height gain if it is hit

What is the purpose of the steel mass attached to the ceiling?

The steel mass is attached to the ceiling in order to increase the height gain of an object when it is hit. This can be useful in certain experiments or situations where height plays a critical role.

How does the steel mass affect the height gain when it is hit?

The steel mass attached to the ceiling increases the height gain when an object is hit by adding additional kinetic energy to the object. This is due to the conservation of momentum and the transfer of energy from the steel mass to the object.

Is there a limit to the maximum height gain that can be achieved with the steel mass?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum height gain that can be achieved with the steel mass attached to the ceiling. This limit is dependent on factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the height and mass of the steel mass.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a steel mass attached to the ceiling?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a steel mass attached to the ceiling. The steel mass should be securely attached and all individuals in the vicinity should be aware of the potential for objects to be launched to higher heights. Protective gear, such as goggles, may also be necessary.

Can the steel mass be used to increase the height gain of any object?

The steel mass attached to the ceiling can only increase the height gain of objects that are able to make contact with it. Objects with insufficient mass or velocity may not experience a significant increase in height gain. Additionally, the shape and size of the object may also affect the outcome.