Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stellar extinction

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1

Sux

Hi! In this problem I have to calculate the distance to a cefeide star, I know visual magnitude, [tex]m_{v}[/tex], his magnitude in B range, [tex]m_{b}[/tex] and its period, [tex]P[/tex].

Well, if I ignore extinction, I can calculate the distance with [tex]M_{V}[/tex]:

[tex]m_{v}=M_{V}+5log(\frac{r}{10})+A_{v}[/tex]

Where [tex]A{v}[/tex] is visual magnitude extinction.

As I know color index:

[tex]m_{b}-m_{v}=M_{B}-M_{V}+E_{B-V}[/tex]

Where: [tex]E_{B-V}[/tex] is color excess.

And:

[tex]\frac{A_{V}}{E_{B-V}}\approx3[/tex]

I just need to calculate absolute magnitude in B range, [tex]M_{B}[/tex], to calculate extinction and be able to calculate the distance.

Any ideas about how could I do it?

I apologize for my mistakes, I am still learning English.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Your English is quite good, although I don't understand what you mean by "extinction" (it means something specific in English--it's what happened to the dinosaurs). If you define it clearly, I can probably give you the correct word.

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3
    Stellar extinction has to do with the loss of light due to gas/dust in the path to the observer --atmospheric extinction due to volcanic dust, extinction due to dust around a star, for example.

It must be corrected for to determine the intrinsic brightness of a star.

Neil

5. Aug 4, 2009 #4

Sux

Yes, stellar "extinction" is the loss of flux or brightness due to interstellar dust.

Here you have it: http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Mathis/Mathis1.html" [Broken]

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook