How Do You Calculate Orbital Speed in Different Galactic Density Models?

In summary, for a) all the mass M concentrated at the center, the velocity and angular velocity will be constant, given by v(r) = \sqrt(GM/r) and \Omega(r) = v(r)/r. For b) with a constant density, you will need to integrate the equation from a) over the range of radii from 0 to R0 to calculate the mass within a given radius, and then use this to find v(r) and \Omega(r).
CaptainEvil

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\Omega[/tex](r) and v(r) for the following density models:
(a) all the mass M is at the center of the galaxy;
(b) a constant density adding up to a mass M(R0) at the Sun’s orbit and no mass beyond.

Homework Equations

M(r) = v(r)2r/G

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using the above eqn, I can rewrite for v(r) = [tex]\sqrt{}GM(r)/r[/tex] but since all the mass M is in the center, it is constant, and M(r) = M so

v(r) = [tex]\sqrt{}GM/r[/tex] and [tex]\Omega[/tex](r) = v(r)/r

b) For a constant density, radius would extend from 0 to R0 and mass would increase from 0 to M(R0). So I'm thinking I have to integrate my equation from part (a) to account for this summation. But I'm a bit lost and don't know how to get it done.

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

For part (a), your solution is correct. Since all the mass is concentrated at the center, the velocity and angular velocity will both be constant, given by v(r) = \sqrt(GM/r) and \Omega(r) = v(r)/r.

For part (b), you are on the right track. In order to account for the constant density, you will need to integrate the equation from part (a) over the range of radii from 0 to R0. This will give you the total mass within a given radius, and you can then use this to calculate the velocity and angular velocity at that radius. The equation would look like this:

M(r) = \int_0^r rho(r)4\pi r^2 dr

Where rho(r) is the constant density and M(r) is the mass within a radius r. You can then use this equation to calculate v(r) and \Omega(r) as before.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

For part (a), your approach is correct. Since all the mass is at the center, the velocity and angular velocity will be constant throughout the galaxy.

For part (b), you are correct in thinking that you need to integrate your equation for v(r). The integral will take into account the increase in mass as you move from the center of the galaxy to the Sun's orbit.

The integral will look like this:
v(r) = \sqrt{}G * \int_{0}^{r} \frac{M(r')}{r'^{2}} dr'

Where M(r') is the mass enclosed within a radius r'. This can be rewritten as:
v(r) = \sqrt{}G * \frac{M(R_0)}{r} * \int_{0}^{r} \frac{1}{r'^{2}} dr'

Solving this integral will give you the expression for v(r). You can then use this to calculate \Omega(r) = v(r)/r.

I hope this helps!

What is stellar orbital speed?

Stellar orbital speed refers to the speed at which a star moves around its center of mass in a specific orbit.

How is stellar orbital speed calculated?

Stellar orbital speed is calculated using the equation V = √(GM/r), where V is the orbital speed, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, and r is the distance between the star and the center of mass.

What factors affect stellar orbital speed?

The main factors that affect stellar orbital speed are the mass of the central object, the distance between the star and the center of mass, and the gravitational force between the two objects.

What is the average speed of a star in orbit?

The average speed of a star in orbit depends on its distance from the center of mass and the mass of the central object. However, the average speed of stars in our galaxy is estimated to be around 220 km/s.

Can stellar orbital speed change over time?

Yes, stellar orbital speed can change over time due to the influence of other objects, such as planets or other stars, or due to changes in the central object's mass. These changes can also affect the shape and stability of the star's orbit.