Stereocentre/stereogenic carbon

• Thread starter abhineetK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary: Let me try to be more specific. In the cases where both C(2) and C(4) are either both R or both S, the resulting molecules are chiral and enantiomeric to each other. However, as the two groups C(2) and C(4) are identical, C(3) is not stereogenic in this case and cannot be labeled as R or S.
abhineetK
In
C1OOH-C2H(OH)-C3H(OH)-C4H(OH)-C5OOH,
is C3 stereocentre?

>>Will it make any difference if I use the term 'stereogenic carbon' in place of 'stereocentre'??

Please, explain.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A stereogenic carbon is one that is attached to four different molecules. In the molecule you have shown, carbon 3 is attached to a hydrogen, hydroxyl, and two HOOCCHOH-s, and since the latter appear twice, it can not be a stereocentre. Keep looking :)

Yet it can exist in two different configurations. If C2 and C4 were both (R), for instance, C3 can exist in (R) or (S) forms...

sjb-2812 said:
Yet it can exist in two different configurations. If C2 and C4 were both (R), for instance, C3 can exist in (R) or (S) forms...

How? C3 is not chiral... please explain what you want to say...

What I mean is, the two compounds drawn below are different (I think) can you convert one to the other only by bond rotation?

Derived formally from the ketone, one is reduced from the top, and the other from the bottom..?

Attachments

• diacid.png
    diacid.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 416
Rotate them around C3-H bond (the one lying on the paper surface).

Last edited by a moderator:
sjb-2812 said:
What I mean is, the two compounds drawn below are different (I think) can you convert one to the other only by bond rotation?

Derived formally from the ketone, one is reduced from the top, and the other from the bottom..?

Both the products you have shown are same, i.e., they have same configuration, though they might have different conformations...

SJB is right. These are two different meso-forms. Both aren't chiral but they are different stereoisomers. That is RRS=SRR and RSS=SSR. The funny thing is, that upon inversion, C(3) does not change from R to S, as C1 and C3 are mapped onto each other.

DrDu said:
SJB is right. These are two different meso-forms. Both aren't chiral but they are different stereoisomers. That is RRS=SRR and RSS=SSR. The funny thing is, that upon inversion, C(3) does not change from R to S, as C1 and C3 are mapped onto each other.

please explain with the help of fischer projections...

In the picture of sjb, the plane trough C(3), OH(3), H(3) is a mirror plane for both molecules. Hence they cannot be chiral. Nevertheless the groups C(2) and C(4) are mirror images of each other => meso-form.

Yet I don't see how one should be transformable into the other molecule simply by bond or molecule rotations (which is what you would imply, saying that they are different conformers but not configurations). So they are different stereoisomers. Hence C(3) is stereogenic whence it can be labeled as R or S.

In the cases where both C(2) and C(4) are either both R or both S, the resulting molecules are chiral and enantiomeric to each other. However, as the two groups C(2) and C(4) are identical, C(3) is not stereogenic in this case and cannot be labeled as R or S. (In the picture of sjb, these molecules result if the OH at either C(2) or C(4) were pointing down instead of up.
I fear that you have to figure out the Fischer projections yourself. I do not see why they would be helpfull.

Yes, you are right...
Thank you very much for your reply...

Sorry, I may have muddied the waters with my first post.

Related to Stereocentre/stereogenic carbon

What is a stereocentre/stereogenic carbon?

A stereocentre, also known as a stereogenic carbon, is a carbon atom in a molecule that is bonded to four different groups. This results in the formation of two non-superimposable mirror image structures, known as enantiomers. The presence of a stereocentre in a molecule gives it the property of chirality.

How is a stereocentre/stereogenic carbon identified?

A stereocentre can be identified by looking at the bonding pattern of the carbon atom. A carbon atom with four different groups bonded to it is a stereocentre. It can also be identified by using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.

What is the importance of a stereocentre/stereogenic carbon in organic chemistry?

Stereocentres play a crucial role in organic chemistry as they are responsible for the formation of enantiomers, which have different physical and chemical properties. This can have significant implications in fields such as drug development, where the different enantiomers of a molecule can have varying levels of effectiveness and side effects.

Can stereocentres/stereogenic carbons be found in all molecules?

No, not all molecules have stereocentres. Molecules with a plane of symmetry or an internal mirror plane do not have stereocentres. Additionally, molecules with two or more stereocentres may have the potential for diastereomers, which are stereoisomers that are not mirror images of each other.

How can the presence of a stereocentre/stereogenic carbon affect the reactivity of a molecule?

The presence of a stereocentre can significantly affect the reactivity of a molecule. Enantiomers have different three-dimensional structures, which can lead to different reactions with other molecules. This can result in different products being formed or varying reaction rates. Additionally, the presence of a stereocentre can also affect the stability of a molecule, as enantiomers can have different energy levels.