Stoichiometry Help: C_1_2H_2_2O_1_1 + 12O_2 -> 11H_2O + 12CO_2

In summary, the conversation discusses the combustion of table sugar and how to calculate the amount of heat produced under different conditions. The equation for the reaction is given and there is a question about balancing it correctly. The concept of ΔH is introduced and it is explained how it is directly proportional to the moles of reactants or products. Ultimately, it is concluded that combustion reactions will always have a negative ΔH value and that the equation in question is balanced correctly.
NekoVictoria
This is what I was given:

Answer all of the questions concerning the combustion of table sugar,
[tex]C_1_2H_2_2O_1_1(s) + 12O_2 (g)\rightarrow 11H_2O(g) + 12CO_2(g)[/tex]

a. If (weird triangle shape thing(what is this thing anyways?))H for this reaction is -5645 kj/mol, how much heat is produced when 2 mol of sugar are burned?

b. How much heat is produced when only 3 mol of [tex]O_2[/tex] are available

c. Could this combustion reaction ever have a positive (weird triangle shape)H? Explain.

I am completely stuck, I have no idea even where to start on this problem, and its due tomorrow.
A million thanks to anyone who can help me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a)
Your reaction is written (although with a mistake) for 1 moles of the sugar compound. Your question is about 2 moles of this compound. The proportion should seem obvious.

(b)
First, balance the reaction correctly. The concept will then be similar to #(a), but this time, you are basing the decision on the oxygen.

That is not a mistake, that's exactly how the question is written.
How is it obvious? I don't see it at all... I have never had to do a question like this before now and it makes no sense, I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to calculate that...

NekoVictoria said:
That is not a mistake, that's exactly how the question is written.

There is an obvious typo in the reaction equation.

How is it obvious? I don't see it at all... I have never had to do a question like this before now and it makes no sense, I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to calculate that...

So you are in one of those schools where they want you to do questions not telling first what they are about... And they don't even ask you check your textbook... Sigh.

This strange triangle thing - Δ - is called delta.

ΔH is the amount of heat produced per mole of the reacting substance.

I know this is probably useless but, I thought I would give it some closure since some replies were filled with snide remarks and little was done to resolve the question at hand.

First, I see nothing wrong with the equation, as far as I know, that's the combustion of sucrose and it's balanced correctly.

Either way, ΔH is directly proportional to the moles of, in this case, reactant(s). The concept will still apply if you're manipulating the moles of products. For your given ΔH, it only applies the combustion of sucrose in those specific quantities. Again, if its proportional to the moles:

A) You have twice as much sucrose now - so the combustion will produce twice as much heat: ΔH= 2(-5645 kj/mol)

B) You now have 1/4 of the oxygen you had originally - so combustion will produce only 1/4 of the heat: ΔH= (-5645 kj/mol) / 4

C) Combustion will NEVER be a positive ΔH. It's combustion, combustion always releases heat so ΔH will always be negative. Think about it; when was the last time a fire (essentially combustion) made the surroundings cold?

rowkem said:
First, I see nothing wrong with the equation, as far as I know, that's the combustion of sucrose and it's balanced correctly.

Equation was edited, originally it contained 12O instead of 12O2.

1. What is the balanced chemical equation for this reaction?

The balanced chemical equation for C12H22O11 + 12O2 -> 11H2O + 12CO2 is C12H22O11 + 12O2 -> 11H2O + 12CO2.

2. What is the mole ratio of C12H22O11 to CO2 in this reaction?

The mole ratio of C12H22O11 to CO2 in this reaction is 1:12.

3. How many moles of CO2 are produced when 1 mole of C12H22O11 reacts?

Based on the mole ratio of 1:12, 1 mole of C12H22O11 will produce 12 moles of CO2.

4. How many grams of H2O are produced when 5 moles of C12H22O11 are reacted?

Using the molar mass of H2O (18 g/mol), 5 moles of C12H22O11 will produce 5 x 11 = 55 moles of H2O, which is equivalent to 55 x 18 = 990 grams of H2O.

5. What is the limiting reactant in this reaction?

To determine the limiting reactant, we need to compare the number of moles of C12H22O11 and O2. If there are less moles of one reactant compared to the other, then it is the limiting reactant. In this case, since there are 12 moles of O2 for every 1 mole of C12H22O11, O2 is the limiting reactant.