Strange thing happens with the surface polarisation charge density

In summary: I don't know what to say!In summary, the problem is about calculating the force on a point charge situated a distance d above the origin. The confusion arises from the fact that the field due to the bound surface charge is not the same in the dielectric and in the vacuum because of different permittivity.
Pritam
This confusion is about the following problem:

Suppose the entire region below the plane z=0 is filled with uniform linear dielectric material of susceptibility ##χ_e##. Calculate the force on a point charge q situated a distance d above the origin.

Now, this problem is done in Griffiths' Electrodynamics book( Example 4.8). Its clear how to do this problem. But problem comes from a point of surface charge density ##\sigma_b## on the surface of the dielectric.

Let me clear myself.

We need to know the surface bound charge. The sign of the charge will be negative. There will be no volume charge as the dielectric is considered to be linear and homogeneous. Now, $$\sigma_b=P.n=P_z=\epsilon_0 \chi_e E_z$$
Where ##E_z## is the z component of the total field just inside the dielectric at z=0. This field is due to in part to q and in part to the bound charge itself. The z component of the field due to the bound charge is ##-\sigma_b/2 \epsilon_0##. From here we can get the total electric field ##E_z## and then the bound charge. Now using method of image we can get the potential at any point anywhere may be for z>0 or z<0.

But my confusion arises from the 2 in the denominator of ##\sigma_b/2 \epsilon_0##.This 2 comes when the perpendicular component of the electric field above and below the surface is eual in magnitude. So that using Gauss's law we can have a 2 in the denominator. But in this case, the field due to the bound surface charge is not the same in the dielectric and in the vacuum because of different permittivity (##\epsilon## and ##\epsilon_0## respectively). So we can't write a 2 in the denominator. Rather I think this surface charge will not be equally divided.

I hope I have made myself clear. I better request the reader to go through the Example 4.8 in Griffiths's Electrodynamics book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the original derivation of the bound surface charge (which may not be that clear in Griffiths),
you will see that the field due to bound surface charge affects E just like free surface charge. It is only after this step in the derivation that permittivity is introduced. Thus the effect on E is just like that of free surface charge, hence the same factor of 1/2.

Meir Achuz said:
If you look at the original derivation of the bound surface charge (which may not be that clear in Griffiths),
you will see that the field due to bound surface charge affects E just like free surface charge. It is only after this step in the derivation that permittivity is introduced. Thus the effect on E is just like that of free surface charge, hence the same factor of 1/2.

Yes I am getting that! But not really satisfied! Ok I understood this bound charge is working as a free charge! But why not to consider permittivity is not clear to me! I mean is there any exact physical reason behind this?

Permittivity and the D field are introduced as mathematical constructs to simplify the effect of the induced dipoles.
The effect of the dipoles (in this case as a surface charge) can be implemented with no mention of epsilon or D.

Likes 1 person
I am really confused over this actually! Please don't mind.

When I started this and encountered this fact of 2 I went for to know why this 2 comes. There I saw the derivation and find that this derivation is done over a charged surface considered to be a charged sheet having two surfaces! Now this was a point! So I started to consider a charged surface as actually "two charged surfaces" so that the total surface charge density ##\sigma_b## is distributed in those two surfaces in such a case that the upper surface contributes to the electric field above only and the lower surface contributes to the electric field below only! Now then I concluded, if the electric field is same in magnitude above and below, I can say that "two surfaces" carries same charge density! Otherwise How can they produce the same field?! Is there any misconception over this kind of way of thinking?

Now Please tell me, if my above clarification is valid, why I can't think about this same way and say as the electric field is different so charge density should also be different!

Ok! everything will be ok for me if I consider ##D## instead of ##E## then this whole clarification is valid for any case! Now I can say ##D## is same in both above and below (In the dielectric).

I think I am right! OR I am doing some great blunder with my way of understanding! Please I request you to consider my place and to think the way I am thinking so that I can be sure about my so far progress.
Nevertheless I was really happy to get your reply as that indeed was specifically telling a solution of the confusion.Thanks a lot.

Pritam said:
I am really confused over this actually! Please don't mind.
When I started this and encountered this fact of 2 I went for to know why this 2 comes. There I saw the derivation and find that this derivation is done over a charged surface considered to be a charged sheet having two surfaces! Now this was a point! So I started to consider a charged surface as actually "two charged surfaces" so that the total surface charge density ##\sigma_b## is distributed in those two surfaces in such a case that the upper surface contributes to the electric field above only and the lower surface contributes to the electric field below only! Now then I concluded, if the electric field is same in magnitude above and below, I can say that "two surfaces" carries same charge density! Otherwise How can they produce the same field?! Is there any misconception over this kind of way of thinking?
There is only one surface in this case, not two. The two surfaces would be for a conducting sheet of finite thickness, which is not this case. The one surface is the surface of the dielectric, with a surface charge \sigma. The factor of 1/2 enters because the E field can leave the gaussian pillbox at each face.

1. What is surface polarisation charge density?

Surface polarisation charge density refers to the accumulation of electric charge at the surface of a material due to the presence of an external electric field. This charge density is caused by the displacement of ions or molecules within the material, resulting in a net charge on the surface.

2. How does surface polarisation charge density affect material properties?

The presence of surface polarisation charge density can significantly impact the physical and chemical properties of a material. It can influence the material's conductivity, surface energy, and reactivity with other substances. In some cases, it can also lead to the formation of surface charges and dipole moments, which can alter the material's surface morphology.

3. What causes strange things to happen with surface polarisation charge density?

There are several factors that can contribute to strange phenomena related to surface polarisation charge density. These include the type of material, the strength and direction of the external electric field, and the presence of impurities or defects on the material's surface. Additionally, the temperature and pressure conditions can also play a role in the behavior of polarisation charges.

4. Can surface polarisation charge density be manipulated?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate surface polarisation charge density through various methods. One approach is to apply an external electric field to the material, which can induce or enhance the polarisation charge. Another method is to modify the surface chemistry of the material, which can alter the distribution of charges on the surface. Additionally, controlling the temperature and pressure conditions can also affect the behaviour of polarisation charges.

5. What are the practical applications of studying surface polarisation charge density?

Understanding and manipulating surface polarisation charge density has numerous practical applications in various fields such as material science, electronics, and biotechnology. It can be used to develop new materials with specific properties, improve the performance of electronic devices, and even control the interactions between biological cells and materials. It is also vital in the development of sensors, actuators, and energy storage devices.