Stress in a hole due to pin force

In summary: The stress equation provided by stewartcs is based on the units used in SI (metric) system. b) Yes, the 0.798 factor is dimensionless.Unit91Actuala) The compressive stress equation used for an elliptical center hole is the result of the max compressive stress equation provided by stewartcs. b) According to the important note provided by Unit91Actual, the major stress is not where the pin force acts, but at 90 degrees right/left from the hole center, which is 3 times the compressive stress. Therefore, the actual stress in the plate, taking into account the geometry of the hole, would be 3 times the compressive stress calculated using the
guideonl
Hi everyone,

What is the area should be taken to determine the compression stress of pin-hole in tention force (i.e plate with known thickness having a hole for lifting shakle pin) where the hole diameter is greater than the pin diameter (> x3) (theoretically, it is not an area just line of contact between the hole and the pin, which is the thickness of the plate).
Thank you, Guideon

Engineering news on Phys.org
guideonl said:
Hi everyone,

What is the area should be taken to determine the compression stress of pin-hole in tention force (i.e plate with known thickness having a hole for lifting shakle pin) where the hole diameter is greater than the pin diameter (> x3) (theoretically, it is not an area just line of contact between the hole and the pin, which is the thickness of the plate).
Thank you, Guideon

Hey man, I would like to help you, but I don't quite understand your description. A diagram would be really helpful here.

Thank you,
Hereby a sketch attached to clarify the question, I hope it would explain it better.

Guideon

Attachments

• pin acting in a hole 001.jpg
    pin acting in a hole 001.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,878
guideonl said:
Thank you,
Hereby a sketch attached to clarify the question, I hope it would explain it better.

Guideon

Oh wow, that's great, thanks for the clarification. When I get home from work today I'll hook you up. Do you have numbers? I could also run a FE solution for you.

guideonl said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you, Guideon

Your attachment calcs look like you're trying to solve for bearing stress. However, since the pin is much smaller than the socket, the max compressive stress is actually given by:

[tex] \sigma c_{max} = 0.798 \cdot \sqrt{\frac{p}{K_D \cdot C_E}} [/tex]

Where,

p = load per unit length
E1 = modulus of elasticity of bottom socket
E2 = modulus of elasticity of pin
v1 = poisson's ratio of bottom socket
v2 = poisson's ratio of pin

[tex] K_D = \frac{D_2 \cdot D_1}{D_1 - D_2} [/tex]

[tex] C_E = \frac{1- \nu_1^2}{E_1} + \frac{1- \nu_2^2}{E_2} [/tex]

CS

Attachments

• CompressiveStressCyl.JPG
    CompressiveStressCyl.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 935
I agree with Stewart, though I would also add that the stress in your plate increases due to the hole.

For an elliptical center hole,

[tex]\sigma_{A} = \sigma_{c}\left(1+\frac{2a}{b}\right)[/tex]

Since your hole is circular, a = b = r, thus

[tex]\sigma_{A} = 3\sigma_{c}[/tex]

where

[tex]\sigma_{c}[/tex] is compressive stress
[tex]\sigma_{A}[/tex] is the actual stress, taking into account the geometry of the hole
[tex]2a [/tex] is the major axis
[tex]2b[/tex] is the minor axis
[tex]r[/tex] is the radius of your circular hole

Source: Anderson, T.L., Fracture Mechanics Fundamentals and Applications, 3rd Ed., CRC / Taylor and Francis, 2005, p27.

Unit91Actual said:
I agree with Stewart, though I would also add that the stress in your plate increases due to the hole.

For an elliptical center hole,

[tex]\sigma_{A} = \sigma_{c}\left(1+\frac{2a}{b}\right)[/tex]

Since your hole is circular, a = b = r, thus

[tex]\sigma_{A} = 3\sigma_{c}[/tex]

where

[tex]\sigma_{c}[/tex] is compressive stress
[tex]\sigma_{A}[/tex] is the actual stress, taking into account the geometry of the hole
[tex]2a [/tex] is the major axis
[tex]2b[/tex] is the minor axis
[tex]r[/tex] is the radius of your circular hole

Source: Anderson, T.L., Fracture Mechanics Fundamentals and Applications, 3rd Ed., CRC / Taylor and Francis, 2005, p27.

The stress concentration formula you're talking about was derived for uniaxial tension. I don't think those boundary conditions apply in this case. Also, since this is a contact stress problem, the stresses will be altered because traction forces are applied to the hole.

Thank you all, you are great
I just want to be sure that I undersdand your answers:
stewartcs,
a) Is the stress equation you sent depends on the units you use in the equation (SI/american)?
b) The 0.798 factor is dimensionless?
Unit91Actual
a) Is the compressive stress you used in the equation for an elliptical center hole is the result of the max compressive stress equation in stewartcs reply? If not, how can I calculate this sress? that was my original question.
b) According to your important note, actually, the major stress is not where the pin force acts, but at 90 degrees right/left from the hole center (3 times the compressive stress)?

Thank you all again, Guideon

guideonl said:
Thank you all, you are great
I just want to be sure that I undersdand your answers:
stewartcs,
a) Is the stress equation you sent depends on the units you use in the equation (SI/american)?
b) The 0.798 factor is dimensionless?
Unit91Actual

As with all engineering formulas, the equation should be dimensionally consistent.

The 0.798 is a dimensionless factor.

CS

1. What is "stress in a hole due to pin force"?

"Stress in a hole due to pin force" refers to the amount of pressure or tension exerted on the walls of a hole when a pin is inserted into it. This stress is caused by the force applied by the pin, and can have a significant impact on the structural integrity of the hole and the surrounding materials.

2. How is the stress in a hole due to pin force calculated?

The stress in a hole due to pin force can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the pin by the cross-sectional area of the hole. This will give the stress in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch or newtons per square meter.

3. What factors can affect the stress in a hole due to pin force?

The stress in a hole due to pin force can be affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the hole, the material properties of the hole and the pin, the force applied by the pin, and the orientation of the pin in the hole. Other external factors, such as temperature and environmental conditions, can also play a role in the stress experienced by the hole.

4. Why is it important to consider stress in a hole due to pin force?

It is important to consider stress in a hole due to pin force because it can have significant implications for the structural integrity and safety of the materials involved. Excessive stress can lead to deformation, cracking, or failure of the hole and surrounding materials, which can have serious consequences in various applications, such as in construction, manufacturing, or engineering projects.

5. How can stress in a hole due to pin force be minimized?

To minimize stress in a hole due to pin force, it is important to carefully consider the design and materials used for the hole and the pin. The hole should be of an appropriate size and shape to accommodate the pin without excessive stress, and the materials should be chosen based on their strength and compatibility. Proper installation techniques, such as pre-drilling the hole and using lubricants, can also help reduce stress in the hole. Additionally, using multiple pins instead of a single pin can distribute the force more evenly and reduce stress on individual holes.