Stress Strain Curve: How Is It Derived & Tested?

In summary, the stress strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between stress and strain in a material. It typically consists of a linear portion followed by a non-linear portion. The curve is derived through tensile testing, where a sample of the material is subjected to increasing levels of stress until it breaks. Shear stress, which is a type of stress that acts parallel to the surface of a material, can also be measured through tensile testing. However, the Wikipedia link provided only discusses nominal stresses. To find the relationship between nominal stress and shear strain, a quick Google search may be helpful as there are limited sources available on the internet.
mertcan
hi, I am aware that stress strain curve involves some function which begins with linear part and continues with non linear part after a while. I consider that it is so complicated, but I really wonder how a stress strain curve is derived, what kind of tests are applied and how those tests are applied?

Physics news on Phys.org
mertcan said:
hi, I am aware that stress strain curve involves some function which begins with linear part and continues with non linear part after a while. I consider that it is so complicated, but I really wonder how a stress strain curve is derived, what kind of tests are applied and how those tests are applied?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_testing

berkeman said:
ok but what about shear stress??, the link shared is only about nominal stresses. How is shear strain measured??

mertcan said:
ok but what about shear stress??, the link shared is only about nominal stresses. How is shear strain measured??
You didn't ask about shear stress in your opening post. Sigh. How about you do a quick Google search to see if you can answer your question easily...

berkeman said:
You didn't ask about shear stress in your opening post. Sigh. How about you do a quick Google search to see if you can answer your question easily...
Actually, I would like to ask how can we find the relation between nominal stress and shear strain? I am aware that in some situations nominal stress along x-axis may change nominal strain along x axis, also nominal strain y axis, also shear strain on xy plane for instance. How can we obtain nominal stress along x and shear strain curve? There are not enough sources on internet by the way...

1. What is a stress-strain curve?

A stress-strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the stress applied to a material and the resulting strain. It shows how a material responds to external forces and helps to determine its mechanical properties.

2. How is a stress-strain curve derived?

A stress-strain curve is derived through tensile testing, where a sample of the material is subjected to increasing levels of stress until it reaches failure. During this process, the resulting strain is measured and plotted on a graph, with stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis.

3. What information can be obtained from a stress-strain curve?

A stress-strain curve can provide valuable information about a material's mechanical properties, such as its elastic modulus, yield strength, ultimate tensile strength, and ductility. It can also show how a material behaves under different levels of stress and strain, allowing for the prediction of its performance in different applications.

4. How is a stress-strain curve tested?

A stress-strain curve is tested through tensile testing, which involves applying a gradually increasing load to a sample of the material until it reaches failure. The resulting stress and strain values are recorded and used to plot the curve.

5. What factors can affect the shape of a stress-strain curve?

The shape of a stress-strain curve can be affected by various factors, including the type of material, its composition and microstructure, the testing conditions (such as temperature and rate of loading), and any pre-treatments or modifications applied to the material.