Analysing Cube Stress & Deformation in Figure A & B

In summary, the conversation discusses a cube with sides of 10mm, made of the same material as exercise 1 with Poisson coefficient and Young's modulus. It also mentions a figure A that shows the stress state and relative values of deformation. The sum of relative deformations is equal to 0. Figure B shows the cube placed on an indeformable plate with a housing inside. The x and y faces will be in contact with the housing based on the results of A1. The stress state and relative values of deformation of the cube are determined under the hypothesis of contact. The conversation also mentions analyzing deformations and the tensor of deformation without calculations for a cube compressed with 0.6MPa. The speaker
zDrajCa
We have a cube with sides of 10mm (fig a) (in the same material than the exercice 1 (have poisson coef & young's modulus)

A- figure A
1- Write the stress state and the relatives values deformations (tensor)

2- Why the sum of relatives deformation is equal to 0?

B-Figure B
The cube is placed in a indeformable plate where a housing was realized inside. His dimension are on the figure B. The cube is already comprimed.
1- Thx to the results of A1, the x,y faces will be in contact with x,y, housing?
2- If we do the hypothesis of contact, determine the stress state and relatives values of deformation of thus cube.
3- What can you note analysing deformations.

C- The cube is comprimed with 0.6MPa but here is no space between the cube and the housing. write the tensor of deformation without calculus.

Well, sorry for my Bad english...

Where am I?
1)For me all stress values are equal to 0 except σzz= -0.6MPa? True ? I'm not sure cause σ=F/A=0.6/100 ? and deformation=σ/Young modulus ?

2)I didn't have to do more on this exercise. I won't have answers, i will try to do it this afternoon. But if you can give advices to know where i can start on the different questions, it can be good.

Thx a lot to read,and to give me your time.

Attachments

• bla.png
    bla.png
    7 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm unable to understand your English, so I can't be of much help. But, for the case shown in figure A, is the Poisson ratio equal to 1/2?

Chet

1. What is the purpose of analysing cube stress and deformation in Figure A & B?

The purpose of analysing cube stress and deformation in Figure A & B is to understand how the cube responds under different loads and how it may deform or break under stress. This analysis helps in predicting the structural integrity and performance of the cube in real-life situations.

2. How is the stress and deformation of the cube measured?

The stress and deformation of the cube are measured using strain gauges and load cells, which are attached to the surface of the cube. These devices measure the changes in the cube's dimensions and the forces acting on it, which are used to calculate the stress and deformation.

3. What factors can affect the stress and deformation of the cube?

The stress and deformation of the cube can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the cube, the applied load, the shape and size of the cube, and the environmental conditions. Other factors, such as manufacturing defects or external forces, can also impact the stress and deformation of the cube.

4. How is the data from the stress and deformation analysis used?

The data obtained from the stress and deformation analysis is used to evaluate the structural design of the cube and make any necessary improvements. It can also be used to compare the cube's performance with the desired specifications and to identify any potential issues that may arise during the cube's use.

5. Can the analysis of cube stress and deformation be applied to other structures?

Yes, the principles and techniques used to analyse cube stress and deformation can be applied to other structures, such as buildings, bridges, and machines. However, the specific methods and tools used may vary depending on the type and complexity of the structure being analysed.