Stress tensors on a horizontal bar

In summary, a horizontal support bar with a downwards force of 450 N applied near one end has a radius of 4 cm and a length of 1.2 m. The stress tensor σ at points A and B describe the components of stress in a specific coordinate system. In the principle coordinate system, the main diagonal of the matrix has values and everything else is zero. For point A, the components of stress from most negative to most positive are -4LF/(pi*c^2), 2F/(pi*c^2), 2F/(pi*c^2). For point B, the components of stress from most negative to most positive are -10F/(3 pi c^2), 0, 10F
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

A horizontal support bar has a downwards force F =
450 N applied near one end, as shown. The radius of the bar
is c = 4 cm, and the length L = 1.2 m. The stress tensor σ
at any point describes the components of stress in a particular
coordinate system. For the coordinate system shown, the stress
tensors at points A and B are given by:

(sorry for how I'm about to write these matrices!)

σ_a = 4LF/(pi * c^2)...0...-2F/(pi*c^2)
...-2F/(pi*c^2)...0...0and

σ_b = 0....-10F/(3 pi c^2)...0
...-10F/(3 pi c^2)...0.....0
....0.....0.....0Since each σ is symmetric, there must exist a ’principal’ coordinate system for each point in which the
stress tensor is diagonal. Determine the components
of stress at point A in its principal coordinate system, and list them from most negative to most positive.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue, but I'm pretty sure in the "principle" coordinate system the main diagonal of the matrix has values and everything else is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
So for A I would haveσ_a = -4LF/(pi * c^2)...0...0...0...2F/(pi*c^2)...0...0...0...2F/(pi*c^2)So the components of stress from most negative to most positive would be -4LF/(pi*c^2), 2F/(pi*c^2), 2F/(pi*c^2). For B I would haveσ_b = -10F/(3 pi c^2)...0.....0...0...0.....0....0.....0.....10F/(3 pi c^2)And the components of stress from most negative to most positive would be -10F/(3 pi c^2), 0, 10F/(3 pi c^2). Is this correct?

1. What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress distribution within an object. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes the magnitude and direction of stresses at each point within the object.

2. How is a stress tensor calculated?

A stress tensor is calculated by taking the derivative of the force per unit area with respect to the normal vector of a surface at a specific point within the object. This results in a stress vector, which is then used to construct the stress tensor matrix.

3. What is the significance of a horizontal bar in a stress tensor?

A horizontal bar in a stress tensor represents the direction of the stress acting on a plane that is perpendicular to the length of the bar. This is important in understanding the distribution of stresses within an object and how it may affect its structural integrity.

4. How is a stress tensor used in engineering?

In engineering, stress tensors are used to analyze the behavior of materials under different types of loading conditions. They are also used to design structures that can withstand stress and to identify potential failure points.

5. Are stress tensors only applicable to solid objects?

No, stress tensors can also be used to analyze the stress distribution within fluids and gases. In these cases, they are known as fluid stress tensors and involve different calculations and considerations compared to solid stress tensors.