Are these the correct skeletal formulas for all structural isomers of C5H10?

In summary, structural isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula but different arrangements of atoms, leading to varying physical and chemical properties. For the molecular formula C5H10, there are three possible structural isomers: pentane, 2-methylbutane, and 2,2-dimethylpropane. To determine structural isomers, one must rearrange the atoms while maintaining the same number of atoms and bonds. These isomers have different chemical properties, such as boiling and melting points and reactivity with other molecules. Real-life examples include pentane, isopentane, neopentane, ethanol, dimethyl ether, glucose, and fructose.
dwight87

Homework Statement

Draw the skeletal formula for all of the structural isomers of C5H10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a picture of what I got so far. Are they right and am I missing any. Thanks a lot.

I know that there should be another line coming from the corner of the square. My mistake.

Attachments

• isomers.jpg
    isomers.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,876
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Explain the difference between 11 and 7.

They are exactly the same. Thanks for pointing that out. But are the rest right? Thanks again.

1. What are structural isomers?

Structural isomers are molecules that have the same molecular formula but different arrangements of atoms. This results in different physical and chemical properties.

2. How many structural isomers can be formed with the molecular formula C5H10?

There are three structural isomers of C5H10: pentane, 2-methylbutane, and 2,2-dimethylpropane.

3. How do you determine the structural isomers of a molecule?

To determine structural isomers, you need to draw out the molecular formula and rearrange the atoms to form different structures. It is important to keep the same number of atoms and bonds in each structure.

4. Do structural isomers have the same chemical properties?

No, structural isomers have different chemical properties due to the different arrangements of atoms. They may have different boiling points, melting points, and reactivity with other molecules.

5. What are some real-life examples of structural isomers?

Pentane, isopentane, and neopentane are examples of structural isomers of C5H10. Other examples include ethanol and dimethyl ether, as well as glucose and fructose.