Stuck in this question - 2 spinning disks brought together

In summary: Yes, those two equations will help you find the new ω values.Remember, you have two equations but four unknowns ( ω1f, ω2f, newω1, and newω2 ). You need to use the remaining two equations to solve for the remaining two unknowns. (Hint: one equation that relates the two new ω values, and one equation that relates the two new ω values to the original ω values).
daveamal
Stuck in this question -- 2 spinning disks brought together...

Two disks are spinning freely about axes that run through their respective centres. The larger disk
(R1 = 1.42 m)
has a moment of inertia of 1180 kg · m2 and an angular speed of 4.0 rad/s. The smaller disk
(R2 = 0.60 m)
has a moment of inertia of 906 kg · m2 and an angular speed of 8.0 rad/s. The smaller disk is rotating in a direction that is opposite to the larger disk. The edges of the two disks are brought into contact with each other while keeping their axes parallel. They initially slip against each other until the friction between the two disks eventually stops the slipping. How much energy is lost to friction? (Assume that the disks continue to spin after the disks stop slipping.)

What I did was,

First I found w(angular velocity when the speed becomes same) by:

w=(w1I1+w2I2)/(I1+I2)

The the Kf=1/2w^2(I1+I2)
And Ki=1/2w1^2I1+1/2w2^2I2

Then I found the energy lost by Kf-Ki but The answer is wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello daveamal,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

daveamal said:
Two disks are spinning freely about axes that run through their respective centres. The larger disk
(R1 = 1.42 m)
has a moment of inertia of 1180 kg · m2 and an angular speed of 4.0 rad/s. The smaller disk
(R2 = 0.60 m)
has a moment of inertia of 906 kg · m2 and an angular speed of 8.0 rad/s. The smaller disk is rotating in a direction that is opposite to the larger disk. The edges of the two disks are brought into contact with each other while keeping their axes parallel. They initially slip against each other until the friction between the two disks eventually stops the slipping. How much energy is lost to friction? (Assume that the disks continue to spin after the disks stop slipping.)What I did was,

First I found w(angular velocity when the speed becomes same) by:

w=(w1I1+w2I2)/(I1+I2)

The the Kf=1/2w^2(I1+I2)
And Ki=1/2w1^2I1+1/2w2^2I2

Then I found the energy lost by Kf-Ki but The answer is wrong...
Your approach looks correct. (Although your notation is atrocious. It's very difficult to read.)

If you show more of your work, perhaps we can help find out what went wrong.

One thing to keep in mind though is when you calculate your
[tex] \omega = \frac{\omega_1 I_1 + \omega_2 I_2}{I_1 + I_2}, [/tex]
make sure you pay attention to the signs of [itex] \omega _1 [/itex] and [itex] \omega_2 [/itex]. Are they in the same direction or opposite direction?

Oh ,they are in opposite direction, it would be:

ω=ω1I12I2[itex]/[/itex](I1+I2)

Ryt?

daveamal said:

Correct. (Watch those parentheses.)

daveamal said:

Ryt?
Well, it depends on how you look at it.

Your original
ω= (ω1I12I2)/(I1+I2)
formula is fine the way it is with the "+" sign, with just realizing that either ω1 or ω2 is negative (but not both).

In other words, you don't need to put a negative in the formula; the negative sign comes from the numerical value of one of the variables.

The initial angular momentum of disc 1
is I1 w1
The initial angular momentum of disc 2
is I2 w2
Add those for total angular momentum, which DOES NOT CHANGE in this problem
because there are no external moments

Afterwards the no slip condition:
R1 w1 = R2 W2
calculate the angular momentum again and find new w s

Now
Initial KE = (1/2) I1 w1^2+(1/2)I2 w2^2

Final Ke = same formula, new w s

final better be less than initial :)

find difference

Likes 1 person
I did the steps and got the answer as 36900.17 joules, but it says that the answer is still wrong.

Kishlay said:
The initial angular momentum of disc 1
is I1 w1
The initial angular momentum of disc 2
is I2 w2
Add those for total angular momentum, which DOES NOT CHANGE in this problem
because there are no external moments

Afterwards the no slip condition:
R1 w1 = R2 W2
calculate the angular momentum again and find new w s

Now
Initial KE = (1/2) I1 w1^2+(1/2)I2 w2^2

Final Ke = same formula, new w s

final better be less than initial :)

find difference

How did you find new w s?
What did you do with the total angular momentum and R1 w1 = R2 W2 ?

daveamal said:
Two disks are spinning freely about axes that run through their respective centres.
Ah, so they do not rotate about a common center. (I was visualizing the problem incorrectly.)

Kishlay has the right idea.

Ok but how to find new ω by using R1ω1=R2ω2 ?

daveamal said:
I did the steps and got the answer as 36900.17 joules, but it says that the answer is still wrong.

For what it's worth that's the same answer I got. Perhaps the program is asking you to enter your answer in terms of kJ? Or maybe it's asking for the answer in fewer significant figures?

Doc Al said:
Ah, so they do not rotate about a common center. (I was visualizing the problem incorrectly.)

Kishlay has the right idea.

Oh, now I get it. I originally thought the two disks were on the same axis too (I too was visualizing the problem incorrectly). That does change things. :redface:

daveamal said:
Ok but how to find new ω by using R1ω1=R2ω2 ?
There isn't a "single" new ω. Instead there are two "new" ω values.

You already know the initial ω values, ω1i and ω2i .

Now solve for the final values, ω1f and ω2f .

(Hint: two equations, two unknowns :wink:).

Likes 1 person
I still don't understand what I did wrong? How does the radius come into consideration?

daveamal said:
I still don't understand what I did wrong? How does the radius come into consideration?

The way I'm visualizing the problem now is that the two disks are touching at their edges -- sort of like two gears, except without the teeth.

Gears_animation.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
ok, So will the 2 equations be:

ω12=newω1/newω2

and

Angular momentum= I1newω1+I2newω2

Then we will find new omega's?

oh no, That was wrong, even the I's will change den, but how?

daveamal said:

ω12=newω1/newω2
I don't think that's right.

and

Angular momentum= I1newω1+I2newω2

Then we will find new omega's?
Yes, you will need to find "new" omegas.

One of your equations involves conservation of angular momentum. The total, initial angular momentum is the same as the total, final angular momentum. That should give you one equation (with two unknowns: the final angular velocities, ω1f and ω2f).

See Kishlay's post for the second equation. The second equation involves the disks' radii. That's where the radii fit in. (Look at the picture of the gears. Notice the small gear has a larger angular velocity than the big gear does). Can you find a relationship between the gears' radii and their respective angular velocities, such that there isn't any slipping?

daveamal said:

ω12=newω1/newω2

No. The final rates will be in inverse proportion of the radii. The original rates are not (or there would be no skidding).

daveamal said:

Ryt?

Doc Al said:
Correct. (Watch those parentheses.)
Also need to flip the sign for the 'after' rates, so it would be ω=(ω1I12I2[itex])/[/itex](I1-I2)
But that's for the coaxial problem anyway, which was a wrong interpretation.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ok so I got the relation between radii and angular velocities:

ω12=R2/R1

While by conservation of momentum:

I1ω1+I2(-(ω2))=I1newω1+I2(-(newω2))

Is this correct?

daveamal said:
ok so I got the relation between radii and angular velocities:

ω12=R2/R1

While by conservation of momentum:

I1ω1+I2(-(ω2))=I1newω1+I2(-(newω2))

Is this correct?
Yes, except that you mean newω1/newω2=R2/R1

Yup, got it. Thanks a lot everyone, you guys are genius :D

1. How do the spinning disks behave when brought together?

When two spinning disks are brought together, they will interact with each other due to the forces of friction and inertia. The exact behavior will depend on the speed, size, and surface texture of the disks.

2. What is the purpose of bringing two spinning disks together in a scientific experiment?

Bringing two spinning disks together can be used to study the effects of friction and inertia, and to observe changes in rotational motion. It can also be used to demonstrate principles of angular momentum and conservation of energy.

3. Can the speed of the spinning disks affect their behavior when brought together?

Yes, the speed of the spinning disks can greatly affect their behavior when brought together. Higher speeds can result in more dramatic interactions, while lower speeds may result in slower and less noticeable interactions.

4. Is there a specific method for bringing the spinning disks together?

There is no specific method, but it is important to ensure that the two disks are aligned properly and have a similar center of mass. It is also important to carefully control the speed and direction of the disks when bringing them together.

5. Can the results be predicted when bringing two spinning disks together?

The results of bringing two spinning disks together can be predicted to some extent, but there are many variables that can affect the outcome. It is important to carefully control and measure the conditions of the experiment to accurately predict the results.