Solving Chain Homework w/ Newton's Laws: Acceleration & Force

In summary: So, you can use the following equation:F = ma + g*m*aHere is a graphic representation of this equation:It looks like you are dividing by zero. Make sure that you are not dividing by a negative number.
azila

Homework Statement

A student tries to raise a chain consisting of three identical links. Each link has a mass of 200 g. The three-piece chian is connected to a string and then suspended vertically, witht the student holding the upper end of the string and pulling upward. Because of the student's pull, an upward force of 14 N is applied to the chain by the string. Use Newton's laws to answer the following questions.

Find the acceleration of the chain

Find the force exerted by the top link on the middle link

Homework Equations

F = ma;

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first answer, I used the F=ma equation. Force is 14 N and mass 200 g of one link. But when I divide those two, I get .07 which is not the answer. I know I am doing something wrong. I even tried converting the grams in kilograms which is .02 kg and when I divide the force of 14N by .02 kg, I get 70 which is not the answer. If you can help, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the freebody diagram of one of the links... what are all the forces acting on it. use [tex]\Sigma\vec{F} = ma[/tex] where m is the mass of one of the links. don't forget about gravity.

Okay, I've found the acceleration of the chain, but now how do I find the force exerted by the top link on the middle link? I thought that it was F = m*a, so I took my acceleration (which is the correct acceleration) and multiplied it by the mass of one link, and then added it to the 14 N force upward. What am I doing wrong?

This is nearly the same problem that you solved before, except that you now know the acceleration and not the force. For the bottom two links you also have F = m * a. The mass involved here is the mass of the two bottom links. F is made up of gravity and the force you want to find.

1. What are Newton's Laws and how do they relate to acceleration?

Newton's Laws are a set of three laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. The second law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration, directly relates to acceleration as it explains how the motion of an object changes when a force is applied.

2. How do you determine the acceleration of an object using Newton's Laws?

To determine the acceleration of an object, you must first identify the forces acting upon the object. Then, using Newton's second law, you can calculate the net force acting on the object. Finally, you can use the equation a = F/m to calculate the acceleration, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is the net force, and "m" is the mass of the object.

3. Can Newton's Laws be used to solve chain homework problems?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be used to solve chain homework problems, as long as the problem involves the concepts of acceleration and force. By applying Newton's second law and using the correct equations and units, you can solve problems involving chains or any other objects.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object, and inversely proportional to the object's mass. This means that as force increases, acceleration also increases, and as mass increases, acceleration decreases.

5. How can I use Newton's Laws to solve a chain homework problem?

To solve a chain homework problem using Newton's Laws, you must first identify all the forces acting on the chain. Then, use Newton's second law to calculate the net force and the resulting acceleration. Finally, use the equations of motion to solve for any unknown variables, such as displacement or velocity.