Max Height of 6 kg Object with Air Resistance

In summary: The final answer would be 2.2m.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a 6kg object being projected upwards with an initial speed of 15 m/s and experiencing air resistance. The conversation also includes a similar problem with a 5kg object traveling up an incline with friction. The solution to the first problem involves using kinematics and finding the maximum height reached by the object, while the second problem requires the use of energy equations and trigonometry to determine the maximum height.
JayDub
Hey there, I have been studying for my physics final coming up and I am constantly getting stuck on the stuff that we started at the beggining of the year. Such as this question:

A 6 kg object is projected directly upwards with an initial speed of 15 m/s. This object experiences an average air resistance force of 24 N. What is the maximum height reached by this object?

I have no idea how to solve it. If it weren't for the air resistance I would prolly go something along the lines of:

KE = PE
(1/2)mv^2 = mgh
h = [(1/2)v^2] / g

I also thought of going like

Fnet = ma
24 N = (6 kg)(a)
a = 4 m/s

So the total acceleration would be: -9.8 m/s/s + 4 m/s/s which is -5.8 m/s/s

Then I used kinematics such as

Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad
(0m/s)^2 = (15 m/s)^2 + 2(-5.8m/s/s)d

d = 19.3 m

That is one of the answers but it is wrong as the answer is 8.2m. So I have no idea how to solve questions like these, so I am coming here to ask for help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
JayDub said:
So the total acceleration would be: -9.8 m/s/s + 4 m/s/s which is -5.8 m/s/s

Your problem is that air resistance is in the direction opposite to the velocity of the object, ie down. Since gravity is also acting in the down direction the two forces have the same sign...so if gravity is negative, so's the acceleration due to wind resistance.

Well, what about in the case such as:

A 5kg block initially traveling at 11 m/s up a 30 degree incline. A frictional force of 9.4N acts on the block as it moves up the incline. What is the maximum height the block will reach?

JayDub said:
Well, what about in the case such as:

A 5kg block initially traveling at 11 m/s up a 30 degree incline. A frictional force of 9.4N acts on the block as it moves up the incline. What is the maximum height the block will reach?

You can use

[tex] \Delta E_{mechanical} = W_{friction} [/tex]

E mechanical = W friction?

I do not quite see how that will help me...

PE = KE = Fd?

mgh = .5(m)v^2 = 9.4N(d)

I do not have a distance...

I meant

[tex] E - E_{o} = W_{friction} [/tex]

With the use of some trigonometry and analyzing the initial energy and the final energy conditions, you can set up the equation properly.

Related to Max Height of 6 kg Object with Air Resistance

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance is h = (m/2k) * ln(1 + (k/m) * v0^2), where h is the maximum height, m is the mass of the object, k is the air resistance coefficient, and v0 is the initial velocity.

2. How does air resistance affect the maximum height of a 6 kg object?

Air resistance decreases the maximum height of a 6 kg object by slowing it down as it travels upward. This means that the object has less kinetic energy, resulting in a lower maximum height.

3. Is the maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance the same as without air resistance?

No, the maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance is lower than the maximum height without air resistance. This is because air resistance acts as a force that opposes the motion of the object, causing it to lose energy and decrease in height.

4. What factors can affect the maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance?

The maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance can be affected by factors such as the air resistance coefficient, the initial velocity of the object, and the mass of the object. Other external factors such as wind and temperature can also play a role.

5. How can the maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance be increased?

The maximum height of a 6 kg object with air resistance can be increased by decreasing the air resistance coefficient or increasing the initial velocity of the object. Additionally, reducing the mass of the object can also result in a higher maximum height. However, it is important to note that air resistance will always have an effect on the maximum height of the object.