How Do You Notate Subsections in LaTeX?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper notation to use when referring to sections and subsections in academic writing. The speaker suggests using a single \S symbol for subsections and multiple \S symbols for multiple sections. This avoids the need to keep track of numbering and provides a clear and concise way to refer to specific sections.
Juggler123
So to write 'in section 2' I would say 'in \S 2'

for 'in subsection 4.2' would I then say 'in \S\S 4.2'?

or just 'in \S 4.2'?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're much better off doing something like this so that you don't have to keep track of the numbering yourself:
Code:
\section Stuff

\subsection additional stuff
\label{sec:stuff}

A whole bunch of text and possibly additional sections follow here. 

Now, referring back to \S \ref{sec:stuff}, we see that there is a great deal of stuff in it.

Ah, but your question seems to be more about the *notation* used to indicate sections. To answer your question, I think you would use only ONE \S symbol, even for a subsection. Two symbols : \S\S is use to refer to *multiple* sections. E.g. You might say something like: \S\S 4.2-4.6. It's the equivalent of writing p. 46 to indicate a particular page and pp.46-63 to indicate a range of pages.

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

for your question! In LaTeX, subsections are typically denoted by adding a double backslash (\\) after the section number, followed by the subsection number. So for example, if you wanted to refer to subsection 4.2 in your document, you would write it as "in \S 4.2" or "in section \S 4.2". The double backslash is not necessary in this case. However, if you wanted to refer to a specific subsection within a subsection (e.g. 4.2.1), then you would use two double backslashes, like this: "in \S\S 4.2.1". I hope this helps clarify the notation for subsections in LaTeX. Happy writing!

1. What is subsection notation in LaTeX?

Subsection notation in LaTeX refers to the way in which subsections are organized and labeled within a document. It is a way to divide a document into smaller sections, making it easier to read and navigate.

2. How do I create a subsection in LaTeX?

To create a subsection in LaTeX, use the command "\subsection{section title}". This will automatically label the subsection with a number and add it to the table of contents.

3. Can I customize the numbering of subsections in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the numbering of subsections in LaTeX by using the command "\setcounter{secnumdepth}{X}" before the "\begin{document}" command, where X is the level of depth you want the numbering to go to. For example, setting X to 3 will give you subsections labeled as 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc.

4. How do I change the appearance of subsection headings in LaTeX?

You can change the appearance of subsection headings in LaTeX by using the command "\subsection*{section title}" instead of "\subsection{section title}". The asterisk will remove the numbering and allow you to customize the formatting of the heading.

5. Can I have multiple subsections within a subsection in LaTeX?

Yes, you can have multiple subsections within a subsection in LaTeX. Simply use the command "\subsubsection{section title}" to create a subsubsection within a subsection. This can be useful for organizing information into smaller sections within a subsection.