Substance decrease by factor of 100? (radioactivity)

In summary, the half-life of radioactive iodine-131 is 8 days. To reduce its amount by a factor of 100, it would take approximately 53 days. This can be calculated using the equation N(t) = N(o)e-kt, where k is the decay constant and t is the time. By solving for t, it can be determined that it would take 53.1 days for the amount of iodine-131 to be reduced by a factor of 100.
physics(L)10

Homework Statement

Radioactive iodine (131-I) has a half life of 8 days. How long does it take for iodine to be reduced by factor of 100?

Homework Equations

N(t)=N(o)e-kt
k=ln100/t1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

N(t)=N(o)e-kt

N(t)/N(o)=e-ln(100/8)t

Now I'm stuck. I would think to to take the ln of both sides, but there isn't any values given for N(t) or N(o). Also, the value of k I'm pretty sure is right...Any confirmation on this?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
physics(L)10 said:
k=ln100/t1/2
Not true, you should look up this relation and use the correct one.

Now I'm stuck. I would think to to take the ln of both sides, but there isn't any values given for N(t) or N(o).
The phrase "to be reduced by factor of 100" suggests a relation between N(t) and N(o). It has nothing to do with the value of k.

physics(L)10 said:
Now I'm stuck. I would think to to take the ln of both sides, but there isn't any values given for N(t) or N(o).

No, but you know the ratio of N(t)/N0 right? "...reduced by factor of 100.." :wink:

Also, the value of k I'm pretty sure is right...Any confirmation on this?

Sorry, something is not quite right for your k value. You know the half life is 8 days. In other words,

N(8 days)/N0 = 1/2 = e-k(8 days). Solve for k.

Ok I think I got it:

N(o)/100 = N(o)e-kt

1/100 = e-kt

ln(1/100) = e-kt

ln(1/100) = -[(ln2)/8](t)

53.1 days = t

physics(L)10 said:
Ok I think I got it:

N(o)/100 = N(o)e-kt

1/100 = e-kt

ln(1/100) = e-kt

ln(1/100) = -[(ln2)/8](t)

53.1 days = t

I think you forgot to express taking the natural log of the right side of the equation above in red (but it seems that you did later in the next step). (Any time you do something to one side of an equation, you must do the same thing to the other side, at the same time.) Anyway, your final answer is about the same as what I got (slightly different at the 4th significant digit). :smile:

Yes, I just forgot to put it in. Thanks for your help :)

1. What is meant by "substance decrease by factor of 100" in relation to radioactivity?

When we talk about a substance decreasing by a factor of 100 in terms of radioactivity, it means that the amount of radioactive material present has decreased by 100 times its original value. This can occur naturally through radioactive decay or artificially through human interventions.

2. How is the decrease in radioactivity measured?

The decrease in radioactivity is measured using a unit called the Becquerel (Bq), which represents one atomic decay per second. It is a measure of the rate of radioactive decay in a substance. Another commonly used unit is the Curie (Ci), which represents 3.7 x 10^10 atomic decays per second.

3. What factors can cause a substance to decrease by a factor of 100 in terms of radioactivity?

There are several factors that can contribute to a substance decreasing by a factor of 100 in terms of radioactivity. These include natural radioactive decay, which occurs when unstable atoms release energy and particles to become more stable, and artificial interventions such as nuclear reactions or radioactive waste management techniques.

4. How long does it take for a substance to decrease by a factor of 100 in terms of radioactivity?

The time it takes for a substance to decrease by a factor of 100 in terms of radioactivity can vary greatly depending on the specific radioactive material and its half-life. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive material to decay. For example, the half-life of uranium-238 is 4.5 billion years, while the half-life of iodine-131 is only 8 days.

5. Can a substance decrease by a factor of 100 without any human intervention?

Yes, a substance can decrease by a factor of 100 without any human intervention. As mentioned earlier, this can occur naturally through radioactive decay. However, human activities such as nuclear reactors and nuclear waste management can also contribute to a substance decreasing by a factor of 100 in terms of radioactivity.