Superconducting circuitry and the tank circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a superconducting capacitor in parallel with a superconducting coil to create a "tank circuit" for storing energy as an AC battery. However, it is concluded that this may not be an efficient method as superconducting resonators are still quite lossy and a better option would be to use a superconducting storage ring for long-term energy storage.
MIC
howdy,

I have never worked with superconductive circuitry, nor do I know of it's use much past MRI machines with large coils and in its research for transmission lines.

What if you were to make a superconducting capacitor, and place it in parallel with a superconducting coil to make a "tank circuit". Could this be used to store energy as an AC battery?
My line of thought is that in a superconducting environment, the energy wouldn't dissipate so much, so a constant AC source wouldn't be required to drive the circuit. Could a standing wave be formed similar to a diode laser, mirrored between the inductor and capacitor, that would not require constant pumping to remain, for possible use as an AC battery for high power.

I don't pretend to have enough experience or understanding about these things, so I thought to post it here and see what kind of response I would get. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are describing a superconducting resonator. These have been around for a long time and are used to e.g. build filters and in particle accelerators to generate high E fields.

But no, they are not very useful as storage elements. The reason is simply that even a superconducting resonator is quite lossy and the energy dissipates away very quickly (and even if the resonator itself was not lossy you would still have radiation losses etc).
If you want to store energy it is much better to use e.g. a superconducting storage ring, these can store large amounts of energy for very long times (many years).

MIC said:
superconducting capacitor

What is this?

1. What is superconducting circuitry?

Superconducting circuitry refers to electronic circuits that use materials with zero electrical resistance at very low temperatures, typically close to absolute zero. This leads to highly efficient and fast electrical transmission, making them useful for applications such as quantum computing and high-speed data processing.

2. How does superconducting circuitry work?

Superconducting circuitry works by utilizing superconducting materials, which are typically metals or metal alloys cooled to extremely low temperatures. At these temperatures, the electrons in the material form pairs and move through the material with no resistance, allowing for efficient and fast electrical transmission.

3. What is a tank circuit in relation to superconducting circuitry?

A tank circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of a capacitor and an inductor connected in parallel. It is used to store energy and create oscillations at a specific frequency. In superconducting circuitry, tank circuits are often used as resonators for quantum computing and other applications.

4. What are the advantages of using superconducting circuitry?

There are several advantages to using superconducting circuitry, including high efficiency, fast transmission speeds, and low power consumption. Additionally, superconducting circuits can handle large amounts of data and are less susceptible to noise and interference, making them ideal for high-performance computing and communication systems.

5. What are some potential applications of superconducting circuitry?

Superconducting circuitry has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, high-speed data processing, and sensitive detectors for medical imaging and scientific research. It is also being explored for use in energy-efficient power grids and high-speed communication systems.