Superposition Problem- Circuits

In summary: It should be 4, not 20. In summary, the coefficients for the linear relationship in the circuit are a1 = 0.2, a2 = 4, and a3 = 12. When vs1 = 100 V, is2 = 2 A, and is3 = 4 A, the power delivered to R3 is 108 watts.
RoKr93

Homework Statement

2013-06-19193003_zpsc110ea7a.jpg

For the above circuit, find the coefficients of the linear relationship vout = a1vs1 + a2is2 + a3is3 by superposition. Then find the power delivered to R3 when vs1 = 100 V, is2 = 2 A, and is3 = 4 A. Given: R1 = 20 Ω, R2 = 60 Ω, and R3 = 20 Ω.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: V = IR

KVL: V1 + V2 + ... Vn = 0 for closed loops

KCL: I1 + I2 + ... In = 0 going in an out of a node

Voltage Division: V1 = Vsource * (R1/(R1+R2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got the first two coefficients (though I could be incorrect). I found vout1 = vs1*(R3/(R1+R2+R3)) = 0.2Vs1 through voltage division. I'm pretty certain that's correct.

I also found that vout2 = Is2*R3 = 20Is2, though I'm not quite as certain about that.

But I absolutely cannot wrap my head around finding vout3 (when all independent sources are eliminated except Is3). I understand that in that situation, the Is2 branch essentially disappears and we are left with Is3 in parallel with a branch with R2 and a branch with R1 and R3, but we can't combine those since vout3 must stay isolated. I'm not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a classic current divider scenario with current Is3 being divided between two branches. You know the total resistance of each of the branches.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59714&stc=1&d=1371688705.gif

Alternatively, consider converting Is3 and R2 to their Thevenin equivalent and finding the resulting current and then the potential across R3.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 479
So I want to use current division to find i2, then multiply that by R3 to get my voltage value?

i2 = Is3*(R2/(R1+R2+R3))
vout3 = i2R3
vout3 = Is3*((R2*R3)/(R1+R2+R3))

After substituting values in, vout3 comes out to be 12. Unfortunately either that or one of my previous solutions is wrong- a later part of the problem states that the total vout must be 100 V when vs1 = 100 V, is2 = 2 A, and is3 = 4 A. And (0.2*100) + (20*2) + (12*4) is 108. Did I go about finding vout3 the wrong way?

Check your work for the coefficient for Is2.

Thank you for your question. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like these with a systematic and logical approach. It seems like you have already made some progress in finding the coefficients for the linear relationship using superposition. I will provide some additional guidance to help you find the remaining coefficient and solve the problem.

To find the third coefficient, vout3, we can use the principle of superposition again. This time, we will eliminate all independent sources except for Is3, just as you mentioned. This will leave us with two parallel branches, one with R1 and R3 and one with R2. Let's label these branches as Branch A and Branch B, respectively.

Using Ohm's Law, we can determine the voltage across each branch. For Branch A, the voltage can be calculated as vA = Is3 * R3. For Branch B, the voltage can be calculated as vB = Is3 * R2. Remember that in superposition, we treat each independent source separately, so we only consider the current flowing through each branch.

Now, we can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to find the voltage at the output, vout3. Since there are no independent sources in this case, the voltage across vout3 is simply the sum of the voltages across Branch A and Branch B. This can be written as vout3 = vA + vB = Is3 * (R3 + R2).

Finally, we can use the relationship vout = a1vs1 + a2is2 + a3is3 to find the coefficient a3. Since we know the values for vout3 and Is3 when all other sources are eliminated, we can write the equation as vout3 = a3is3. This gives us a3 = (R3 + R2).

To find the power delivered to R3, we can use the formula P = IV, where I is the current through R3 and V is the voltage across R3. Using Ohm's Law, we can find the current through R3 as I = vout3 / R3. Substituting our value for vout3, we get I = Is3 * (R3 + R2) / R3. Now, we can substitute in the given values for Is3, R3, and R2 to find the power delivered to R3.

In summary, to solve

Related to Superposition Problem- Circuits

What is superposition in circuits?

In circuits, superposition refers to the principle that states the total voltage or current in a circuit is equal to the sum of the individual voltages or currents caused by each source in the circuit, with all other sources turned off.

How do you solve a superposition problem in circuits?

To solve a superposition problem in circuits, you need to follow these steps:
1. Turn off all but one independent source in the circuit
2. Analyze the circuit using traditional circuit analysis techniques
3. Repeat step 1 and 2 for each independent source in the circuit
4. Add up the individual voltages or currents to find the total voltage or current in the circuit.

What is the purpose of using superposition in circuit analysis?

The purpose of using superposition in circuit analysis is to simplify the analysis of complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller parts. This allows us to solve for the total voltage or current in the circuit without having to consider the interactions between different sources.

What are the limitations of using superposition in circuit analysis?

One limitation of using superposition in circuit analysis is that it only works for linear circuits. Non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors cannot be analyzed using superposition. Additionally, superposition assumes that the circuit is in a steady state and does not take into account the transient behavior of the circuit.

How does superposition relate to the principle of linearity?

The principle of linearity states that the output of a linear system is directly proportional to the input. Superposition in circuits is based on this principle, as it assumes that the individual contributions of each source in the circuit can be added together to determine the total output. Therefore, superposition can only be applied to circuits with linear elements.