Surface integral differential

In summary, to find dS for the given parametrically defined surface, first find the derivatives of the vector r(u,v) with respect to each parameter, then take the cross product of those two derivative vectors to find the fundamental vector product, which is perpendicular to the surface at each point. The length of this vector multiplied by the differential of the parameters, dudv, will give you the differential dS for the double integral over S.
chancellorpho

Homework Statement

For the parametrically defined surface S given by r(u,v) = <cos(u+v), sin(u+v), uv>, find the following differential:

In double integral over S of f(x, y, z)dS, dS =

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I needed to put x, y, and z all in terms of two variables, (all three in terms of x and y, or y and z, or x and z), so that I can find dz/dx and dz/dy, but I don't know how to do this. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given x, y and z "in terms of two variables": x= cos(u+v), y= sin(u+v), z= uv. Do everything in terms of u and v, not x, y, and z.

The simplest way to find dS is this:
You are given [itex]\vec{r}= cos(u+v)\vec{i}+ sin(u+v)\vec{j}+ uv\vec{k}[/itex].
Find the derivative of that vector with respect to each of the parameters:
[tex]\vec{r}_u= -sin(u+v)\vec{i}+ cos(u+v)\vec{j}+ v\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_v= -sin(u+v)\vec{i}+ cos(u+v)\vec{j}+ u\vec{k}[/tex]

The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of those two derivative vectors. It is perpendicular to the surface at each point and dS is its length times dudv.

1. What is a surface integral differential?

A surface integral differential is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the flux of a vector field over a curved surface. It involves breaking down the surface into small pieces and calculating the contribution of each piece to the overall flux.

2. How is a surface integral differential different from a regular integral?

A surface integral differential is similar to a regular integral, but it is performed over a curved surface instead of a one-dimensional interval. This allows for the calculation of flux over a three-dimensional surface, whereas a regular integral is limited to one-dimensional calculations.

3. What are some real-world applications of surface integral differentials?

Surface integral differentials are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to calculate the flow of a fluid over a curved surface, the electric field generated by a charged surface, and the amount of light reflected off a three-dimensional object.

4. What is the relationship between a surface integral differential and a line integral?

A surface integral differential is essentially the two-dimensional version of a line integral. Both involve the integration of a vector field, but a surface integral differential is performed over a two-dimensional surface while a line integral is performed over a one-dimensional curve.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using surface integral differentials?

One limitation of surface integral differentials is that they can only be used for surfaces that can be parameterized, meaning they can be described using equations. Additionally, the calculation of surface integrals can be complex and time-consuming, especially for more complicated surfaces. As such, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution.