1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral differential

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the parametrically defined surface S given by r(u,v) = <cos(u+v), sin(u+v), uv>, find the following differential:

In double integral over S of f(x, y, z)dS, dS =

2. Relevant equations
    Above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I needed to put x, y, and z all in terms of two variables, (all three in terms of x and y, or y and z, or x and z), so that I can find dz/dx and dz/dy, but I don't know how to do this. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are given x, y and z "in terms of two variables": x= cos(u+v), y= sin(u+v), z= uv. Do everything in terms of u and v, not x, y, and z.

The simplest way to find dS is this:
    You are given [itex]\vec{r}= cos(u+v)\vec{i}+ sin(u+v)\vec{j}+ uv\vec{k}[/itex].
    Find the derivative of that vector with respect to each of the parameters:
    [tex]\vec{r}_u= -sin(u+v)\vec{i}+ cos(u+v)\vec{j}+ v\vec{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_v= -sin(u+v)\vec{i}+ cos(u+v)\vec{j}+ u\vec{k}[/tex]

The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of those two derivative vectors. It is perpendicular to the surface at each point and dS is its length times dudv.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook