Surface Integral With Divergence Thm

In summary, to evaluate ##\int_{S} \mathit{F} \ dS##, we can use the Divergence Theorem after adding the surface z=0 to create a closed surface. The outward pointing normal vector for the surface z=0 is (0,0,-1).
Karnage1993

Homework Statement

Let ##\mathit{F}(x,y,z) = (e^y\cos z, \sqrt{x^3 + 1}\sin z, x^2 + y^2 + 3)## and let ##S## be the graph of ##z = (1-x^2-y^2)e^{(1-x^2-3y^2)}## for ##z \ge 0##, oriented by the upward unit normal. Evaluate ##\int_{S} \mathit{F} \ dS##. (Hint: Close up this surface and use the Divergence Theorem)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's clear that ##div \ F = 0##, so if I was working with a closed surface, ##\int_{S} \mathit{F} \ dS## would equal 0. For the graph of ##S##, I am unsure as to what "closing up" a surface means. How would one close up a surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Add the surface z=0 to creates closed surface. Then, the divergence theorem gives the surface integral of the sum of the surfaces; subtract the integral over what you added to get the surface integral of the desired surface.

Ok, so what I think you're saying is I have to do:

##0 - \int_{plane \ z = 0} F \ dS##

which will get me only the surface integral of the graph of z?

Karnage1993 said:
Ok, so what I think you're saying is I have to do:

##0 - \int_{plane \ z = 0} F \ dS##

which will get me only the surface integral of the graph of z?

Yes. And you'll need to pick the correct direction for the normal vector for the surface z=0.

For it to be outward pointing, would the z-component have to be negative, ie, (0,0,-1)?

Karnage1993 said:
For it to be outward pointing, would the z-component have to be negative, ie, (0,0,-1)?

Exactly.

Related to Surface Integral With Divergence Thm

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux of a vector field across a surface. It is similar to a line integral, but instead of integrating over a curve, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field across a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume.

What is the relationship between surface integrals and the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem states that the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field within the enclosed volume. In other words, it provides a way to evaluate a surface integral by converting it into a volume integral, which can be easier to compute.

What are some applications of surface integrals with the Divergence Theorem?

Surface integrals with the Divergence Theorem have many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flow of fluids, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

What are some techniques for evaluating surface integrals with the Divergence Theorem?

Some common techniques for evaluating surface integrals with the Divergence Theorem include using parametrization, converting to a double integral in polar or spherical coordinates, and applying symmetry arguments. Computer software, such as Mathematica or MATLAB, can also be used to numerically evaluate surface integrals.