Symmetric Difference Qutotient

In summary, the symmetric difference quotient produces the exact derivative f'(x) = 2ax+b for the quadractic function f(x) = ax^2+bx+c.
Juwad
Show agrebraically that symmetric difference quotient produces the exact derivative f'(x) = 2ax+b for the quadractic function f(x) = ax^2+bx+c

i know that:

f(a + h) - f(a - h)
Symmetric Difference Quotient = -------------------
2h

I really have no clue on this problem..

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any work at all on this? Even a tiny amount?

i seem not to get the question can u tell me ?

It wants you to prove

{symmetric quotient of f} = {derivative of f}

Oh, I apologize: you have at least written down the definition of the symmetric quotient of f, evaluated at a, so you have done some work. But my reaction was due to there being a very obvious next thing to try with that expression.

(P.S. the letter a is already defined to be one of the coefficients of your polynomial. So, you should be using a different variable to denote the point at which you're evaluating the symmetric difference)

Last edited:
Hurkyl,

1st thanks for replying, could you help me a little bit here...What's the 1st step i should do? (Prolly not finding the derivative of {symmetric quotient})..umm some help

symmetric difference quotient:
f(n + h) - f(n - h)
-------------------
2h

Last edited:
You've already invoked the definition of symmetric quotient, to get:

[tex]\{\, \text{symmetric quotient of f at n}\, \} = \frac{f(n + h) - f(n - h)}{2h}[/tex]

Are there any other definitions you can invoke to rewrite that expression? Or maybe an algebraic manipulation you can apply to it?

definition of derivative?

The definition of derivative has already been applied: (you know f'(x) = 2ax + b). How about the definition of f?

definition of f? isn't f a function of x? :confused:

Last edited:
What IS f(n+h)?

the distance in a point

it is said that this can make an invalid approximation..any ideas?

isn't f a function of x?
No. f(x) is a function of x.

But you know a lot more about f than "f is a function"... you know exactly what function it is.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:

Ouch! f is a function. f(x) is a number: the value of that function at x.

Hurkyl said:

Ouch! f is a function. f(x) is a number: the value of that function at x.

Juwan, Hurkyl is trying to get you to DO what the problem itself tells you to do! f isn't just "a" function, it is a specific function and you know what it is. In your first post you said "f(x)= " and then gave the formula. If you've forgotten what it was go back and read your first post!

Now, do the calculation! Exactly what is f(x+h) for that f? Exactly what is f(x-h) for that f?

now i see..i got the first part done..

[tex]\L\\\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{[a(x+h)^{2}+b(x+h)+c]-[a(x-h)^{2}+b(x-h)+c]}{2h}[/tex]

[tex]\L\\\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{ax^{2}+2axh+ah^{2}+bx+c-ax^{2}+2axh-ah^{2}-bx+bh-c}{2h}[/tex]

[tex]\L\\\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{4axh+2bh}{2h}[/tex]

[tex]\L\\\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{2\sout{4}ax\sout{h}}{\sout{2h}}+\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{\sout{2}b\sout{h}}{\sout{2h}}=2ax+b[/tex]
explain why symmetric difference quotient usually gives a good approximation of the numerical derivative at a point on the graph of a function?

Last edited:
One last question

For what types of problems is the symmetric difference quotient useful?

There is no limit in the symmetric difference quotient.

oh cool!, so this is right?

Just on question, is this for Benson's class? of is another teacher out there using the exact same wording and extra credit projects?

1. What is the definition of Symmetric Difference Quotient?

The Symmetric Difference Quotient is a mathematical concept used to measure the average rate of change of a given function over a specific interval. It is denoted by the symbol Δx and is calculated by taking the average of the slopes of two tangent lines on either side of a point on the function.

2. How is Symmetric Difference Quotient different from other types of difference quotients?

The Symmetric Difference Quotient is different from other types of difference quotients, such as the Forward and Backward Difference Quotients, because it takes into account the slopes on both sides of a point on a function. This makes it a more accurate measure of the average rate of change.

3. How is Symmetric Difference Quotient used in real-life applications?

The Symmetric Difference Quotient is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. It is used to calculate average velocities, growth rates, and other important rates of change in real-life scenarios.

4. Can Symmetric Difference Quotient be negative?

Yes, the Symmetric Difference Quotient can be negative. This occurs when the function is decreasing over the interval being measured. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the Symmetric Difference Quotient as it indicates the direction of change in the function.

5. How can I calculate Symmetric Difference Quotient?

To calculate the Symmetric Difference Quotient, you need to first find the slopes of two tangent lines on either side of a point on the function. Then, take the average of these two slopes by adding them and dividing by 2. The resulting value is the Symmetric Difference Quotient for that point on the function.