Symmetric rank-2 tensor, relabelling of indices? (4-vectors)

In summary, the conversation is about the summation convention and the use of dummy indices in 4-vector notation. The question is regarding the relabelling of indices and the use of dummy indices in the summation. The solution is to write out the sums both ways, using different letters for the repeated indices, to see that they are identical.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

k9Aph2H.jpg

Homework Equations

Relabelling of indeces, 4-vector notation

The Attempt at a Solution

The forth line where I've circled one of the components in red, I am unsure why you can simply let ν=μ and μ=v for the second part of the line only then relate it to the first part and add them. If you are chosing "dummy indices" as suggested in the image then wouldn't they have to be independant of the first parts indices?

I'm unsure of what is going on here, any ideas would be really helpful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are familiar with the summation convention, correct. Just write out the sums both ways, and you will see that they are identical.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You are familiar with the summation convention, correct. Just write out the sums both ways, and you will see that they are identical.

Chet

hmm, i think I see what you are getting at, it's because it is symmetric.

when you say write out the sums you are saying if i write out the summation over v=0,1,2,3 and μ=0,1,2,3?

thanks for the reply

Yes. With repeated dumny indices, it doesn't matter which letter of the alphabet you use, as long as it's not the same letter as another repeated index.

Chet

Likes rwooduk
Chestermiller said:
Yes. With repeated dumny indices, it doesn't matter which letter of the alphabet you use, as long as it's not the same letter as another repeated index.

Chet

Yes, I got them to equal, that's very helpful, thank you!

Related to Symmetric rank-2 tensor, relabelling of indices? (4-vectors)

1. What is a symmetric rank-2 tensor?

A symmetric rank-2 tensor is a mathematical object that maps two vectors to a scalar value. It is represented by a matrix and has the property that its components are symmetric with respect to the interchange of indices.

2. What does it mean to relabel indices in a symmetric rank-2 tensor?

Relabelling indices in a symmetric rank-2 tensor refers to the process of interchanging the indices in the tensor's components. This does not change the overall value of the tensor, but it may change the way it is expressed mathematically.

3. How are symmetric rank-2 tensors used in physics?

Symmetric rank-2 tensors are commonly used in physics to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as stress, strain, and electromagnetic fields. They are useful because they can be transformed between different coordinate systems without changing their physical meaning.

4. What are 4-vectors and how are they related to symmetric rank-2 tensors?

4-vectors are mathematical objects in physics that have four components and transform in a specific way under Lorentz transformations. They are related to symmetric rank-2 tensors through their use in special relativity, where the components of a symmetric rank-2 tensor can be used to represent the components of a 4-vector in different reference frames.

5. Can symmetric rank-2 tensors be higher than rank-2?

Yes, symmetric tensors can have any rank, but the terminology "rank-2" specifically refers to tensors that have two indices. Tensors with more than two indices are referred to as higher-rank tensors. These higher-rank tensors still have the property of symmetry, but the rules for relabelling indices become more complex as the rank increases.