Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino

• Thread starter Powerpoucher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phases
In summary: If your are looking at different phases and the output of the sensors is AC ( representative V or I ) this really will not work. As an example - if the phases are 180 out of phase - and they both have 100A - the sum will be 0 Amps...If the output of the sensors is DC Voltage representing the current, then the DC voltages can be summed - possibly in series, depending on the output circuit in the sensor ( YOu may be able to rectify the signal yourself - creat DC ands then sum)- -- Summing with an op amp will work, but you still need to get the V input to the ADC input on the Arduino to 3.3 or 5 V MAX ( basic
Powerpoucher
Hi all,

Doing some energy monitoring of some various equipment using ct clamps and an diy arduino based energy monitor. I have limited number of arduino inputs available so have been experimenting to boost the capacity of the monitor without using multi arduino. I have found no problem joining 2 or 3 clamps into one input if they are of the same phase but what would i need to do to sync the tiny voltage between clamps so that i could put all of my lights, which are split between the 3 phases into one input using 3 clamps.

I know the answer if there is one would be to use capacitors but it would be great if any1 could tell the values or configuration and what i would use to measure to make sure I've done it right it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Samuel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Powerpoucher. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

The clamps are sensing the amplitude of the current?

You have 3 clamps, and would like to produce a signal equal in amplitude to the sum of the three individual signal amplitudes? Do you want this sum to be a single-phase AC signal, or a DC level? What is your line frequency?

In any case, I think it would have to be an op-amp circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi Powerpoucher. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

The clamps are sensing the amplitude of the current?

You have 3 clamps, and would like to produce a signal equal in amplitude to the sum of the three individual signal amplitudes? Do you want this sum to be a single-phase AC signal, or a DC level? What is your line frequency?

In any case, I think it would have to be an op-amp circuit.

You are exacty correct and thank you for putting it in a more coherent form than I did. The line frequency is 50htz and it will need to be a single phase AC signal.

And thanks for the welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with NO -- use an opamp circuit that does peak detect on each phase, and add those 3 voltages before digitizing with your Arduino.

You didn't say what does the current wave look like. Phase shifting by capacitors will affect harmonic content of non-sine wave load currents

If this is more than just a hobby application , it might be worth using RMS to DC converters for the phase currents.
Electric company probably hands you a pretty decent sinewave voltage.

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD737.pdf

around eight bucks at Digikey

application notes here
http://www.analog.com/en/special-linear-functions/rms-to-dc-converters/ad737/products/product.html

Linear Technology has similar products

Powerpoucher said:
Doing some energy monitoring of some various equipment using ct clamps and an diy arduino based energy monitor.
Using the fairly simple arrangement I had in mind, it will not produce accurate results when the load predominantly comprises lights with dimmers and speed-controlled ceiling fans. These cause distortions in the current waveform, rendering it non-sinusoidal.

Are you likely to have such loads? (Jim, that true RMS processor sounds handy.)

I'm also interested to know why you prefer the sensor to give you a sinusoidal signal, in preference to a DC level.

Last edited:
If your are looking at different phases and the output of the sensors is AC ( representative V or I ) this really will not work. As an example - if the phases are 180 out of phase - and they both have 100A - the sum will be 0 Amps...
If the output of the sensors is DC Voltage representing the current, then the DC voltages can be summed - possibly in series, depending on the output circuit in the sensor ( YOu may be able to rectify the signal yourself - creat DC ands then sum)- -- Summing with an op amp will work, but you still need to get the V input to the ADC input on the Arduino to 3.3 or 5 V MAX ( basic v divider will work)

However looking at all of this- you are introducing a lot of error...- so each step is not ideal and you are getting further and further from the truth. If you really want to measure energy / power - perhaps a power measuring IC - or try to convert each signal into power first... still I a sure more work than you are asking about.

Related to Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino

1. What is "Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino"?

Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino is a project that uses an Arduino microcontroller to monitor and measure energy consumption in two phases of a power system. This allows for more accurate and detailed data on energy usage.

2. How does the "Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino" work?

The project uses two current sensors to measure the energy consumption in each phase. The data is then sent to an Arduino microcontroller, which processes the information and sends it to a display or data logging system. The synchronization of the two phases allows for a more precise measurement of energy usage.

3. What are the benefits of using "Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino"?

Using this project allows for a more accurate and detailed measurement of energy consumption in a two-phase power system. This can help identify areas of high energy usage and potentially save on energy costs. It also provides real-time data, making it easier to track and monitor energy usage.

4. Do I need any special equipment to build "Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino"?

To build this project, you will need an Arduino microcontroller, two current sensors, a display or data logging system, and basic electronic components such as resistors and wires. It is also recommended to have some knowledge of electronics and programming to successfully complete the project.

5. Can "Syncing 2 Phases - Energy Monitor DIY Arduino" be used in a commercial setting?

Yes, this project can be used in a commercial setting to monitor energy usage in a two-phase power system. It can provide valuable data for businesses to optimize their energy consumption and potentially reduce costs. However, it is important to consult with a professional electrician before implementing this project in a commercial setting.