1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of 2 equations

1. Jan 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's a system of 2 equations.

upload_2017-1-16_14-4-4.png
    upload_2017-1-16_14-4-10.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt is not worth writing here.
    Results I got using Microsoft Mathematics without showing me step by step.
    upload_2017-1-16_14-5-49.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2017 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Your attempt is worth it! It shows us you made effort to solve the question.

You have that ##y## must be equal to both ##\frac{1}{750} + \frac{8}{x}## and ##\frac{3}{2500} + \frac{12}{x}##

Thus you need to solve for ##x##: ##\frac{1}{750} + \frac{8}{x} = \frac{3}{2500} + \frac{12}{x}## and then substitute your answer for ##x## to obtain the value for ##y##

4. Jan 16, 2017 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The most straight-forward way to solve a system of equations (although not always the most efficient way) is:
    • Use the first equation to solve for one variable in terms of the rest
    • In the second equation, replace that variable by its value (found in step 1). This will give you an equation involving one fewer variable.
    • Now, solve for a second variable.
    • Continue for as many equations as you have (which should be the same as the number of variables)
    In your case, the first equation already gives you [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex]. So just use that value of [itex]y[/itex] in the second equation, and see what you get.

5. Jan 16, 2017 #4
    Okay, so I did manage to solve it. I was stuck for some time on fractions. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted