System of 2 Equations: Homework Statement and Attempt Solution

In summary, the conversation is about a system of 2 equations and how to solve it efficiently. The suggested method is to use the first equation to solve for one variable, then substitute that value in the second equation to solve for another variable. This process continues until all variables have been solved for. Thanks to the advice, the person was able to successfully solve the equations.
akaliuseheal

Homework Statement

[/B]
It's a system of 2 equations.

upload_2017-1-16_14-4-4.png

upload_2017-1-16_14-4-10.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is not worth writing here.
Results I got using Microsoft Mathematics without showing me step by step.
upload_2017-1-16_14-5-49.png

Physics news on Phys.org
akaliuseheal said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
It's a system of 2 equations.

View attachment 111650
View attachment 111651

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is not worth writing here.
Results I got using Microsoft Mathematics without showing me step by step.
View attachment 111652

Your attempt is worth it! It shows us you made effort to solve the question.

You have that ##y## must be equal to both ##\frac{1}{750} + \frac{8}{x}## and ##\frac{3}{2500} + \frac{12}{x}##

Thus you need to solve for ##x##: ##\frac{1}{750} + \frac{8}{x} = \frac{3}{2500} + \frac{12}{x}## and then substitute your answer for ##x## to obtain the value for ##y##

The most straight-forward way to solve a system of equations (although not always the most efficient way) is:
  • Use the first equation to solve for one variable in terms of the rest
  • In the second equation, replace that variable by its value (found in step 1). This will give you an equation involving one fewer variable.
  • Now, solve for a second variable.
  • Continue for as many equations as you have (which should be the same as the number of variables)
In your case, the first equation already gives you [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex]. So just use that value of [itex]y[/itex] in the second equation, and see what you get.

Okay, so I did manage to solve it. I was stuck for some time on fractions. Thanks

What is a "System of 2 equations"?

A system of 2 equations is a set of two equations that are related to each other and have two unknown variables. This system can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the unknown variables.

How do you solve a system of 2 equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of 2 equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most commonly used method is substitution, where one equation is solved for one variable and then substituted into the other equation.

What is the importance of a system of 2 equations in science?

A system of 2 equations is important in science as it allows us to model and solve real-world problems. It is often used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to analyze and predict the behavior of systems with multiple variables.

Can a system of 2 equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of 2 equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This depends on the nature of the equations and the relationship between them. For example, if the equations are parallel, they will have no solutions. If they are identical, they will have infinite solutions.

How can a system of 2 equations be represented visually?

A system of 2 equations can be represented visually using a graph, where each equation is plotted as a line. The point where the two lines intersect is the solution to the system of equations. This is known as the graphical method of solving a system of 2 equations.