Finding Solutions for Systems of Quadratic Equations

• Thread starter b_ball_chic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation involves solving a system of equations with the equations x^2 + y^2 = 25 and y - x^2 = -5. The person initially struggles with substituting for x^2 and plugging in the values, but eventually realizes their mistake and is able to find the correct solutions of (3,4), (-3,4), and (-5,0). They apologize for causing trouble and thank the expert for their help.
b_ball_chic
:eek: OMG! This question is annoying me to death... :bugeye:

x^2 + y^2 = 25
x^2 + y = -5

I understand you substitute, and I did...
x^2 = -5 - y

So I plugged it in...
(-5 - y) + y^2 = 25
subtract 25) y^2 - y - 30 = 0

I tried the quadratic formula AND did the whole (y + 1)(y - 30)=0,
but they would not equal the answers: (3,4)(-3,4)(-5,0)

Please help! I can't understand why I can't get this answer, but yet I can get the others. :

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried the quadratic formula AND did the whole (y + 1)(y - 30)=0,

wrong...
(y+1)(y-30)= y^2 -29y -30
do it again pls

okay...i see...
(y-6)(y+5)=0
So I plugged in:
6) x^2 = -5 - (6)
x^2 = -11
I also plugged in -5) x ^2 = -5 - (-5) = 0
That got me the (-5,0), but I still do not understand how to get the other two points...

see if you copy your question correctly,
x^2 + y^2 = 25
x^2 + y = -5
has one solution only , which is (0,-5), if you don't believe me, you can try plug in your ANSWER in the equations above, you will see LHS is NOT equal RHS

ack...

:yuck: yea..i copied the question wrong...it was:
x^2 + y ^2 = 25
y - x^2 = -5
Got the answers, thnx SO much!

I STILL can't believe I copied the wrong question...sorry I put you through the trouble with that, too...

What is a system of quadratics?

A system of quadratics is a set of two or more quadratic equations that are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system.

How do you solve a system of quadratics?

To solve a system of quadratics, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The method you choose will depend on the specific equations in the system and your personal preference.

What are the possible solutions to a system of quadratics?

A system of quadratics can have three types of solutions: one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. These solutions can be determined by solving the equations in the system and checking for consistency.

Can a system of quadratics have more than two equations?

Yes, a system of quadratics can have any number of equations. However, the number of equations must be equal to or less than the number of variables in order for the system to have a unique solution.

What real-world problems can be solved using systems of quadratics?

Systems of quadratics can be used to solve various real-world problems, such as finding the optimal value for a given situation, determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, or analyzing the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.