T constant lines in Minkowski Conformal Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of the t=const and r=const lines on the Minkowski conformal diagram and the difficulty in finding simpler equations for these lines. The book mentioned provides a good explanation of the standard transformation for Minkowski space and the criteria it should follow. The equations for lines of constant r and t are given, but they involve arc trig functions and there is no simpler form. It is also noted that conformal diagrams preserve only conformal structure, not geodesic structure.
LAHLH
Hi,

I've been trying to work out exactly why the t=const and r=const lines look like they do in the Minkowski conformal diagram.

I started with the usual Minkowski metric in polar coords (t,r) then go into null coords, then pull in the infinities by using arctan transformations, finally I then go back to non-null coords (T,R).

I find that the coords must be related as: [tex] t=\frac{1}{2}\left(\tan{\left(\frac{T-R}{2}\right)}+\tan{\left(\frac{T+R}{2}\right)}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin{(T)}}{\cos{(T)}+\cos{(R)}}[/tex]

The last equality following from a few sum product trig idents etc. Thus it would seem to me that t=constant lines satisfy:

[tex] \cos{(T)}+\cos{(R)}=c\sin{(T)} [/tex] and there is also the condition [tex] 0\leq R < \pi [/tex] and [tex] |T|+R < \pi [/tex]

Having Maple solve these, they kind of look correct if I choose to piece together the correct +/- solutions it spits out, but I'm not sure, and I thought finding these t=const lines would be simpler some how. Is there another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
This book http://homepages.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~winitzki/T7/ has a good explanation of the extent to which the standard transformation for Minkowski space is or is not arbitrary, and what criteria we'd like it to obey. In general, geodesics look very complicated when you put them on a conformal diagram (strange asymmetric S shapes), so it doesn't surprise me too much if the t=const lines are complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Also the equation for lines of constant r seem to satify [tex] \cos{(T)}+\sin{(R)}=a\sin{(R)} [/tex] where the constant [tex] a \geq 0 [/tex]. These reproduce the r constant lines perfectly in the upper half of the triangle but cut off at the lower half, very strange, there must be some branch of the solution Maple is missing when it solves this equation I guess.

I just really thought it would easier to get the equations than it seems, but I guess not if they really are arc trig type functions of other trig functions and there is no simpler form? seems like no book on GR I can find actually solves and shows explicitley the equations for these lines in the conformal diagram but just shows the diagram

The whole point of conformal diagrams is that they throw away all geodesic structure and only preserve conformal structure. Therefore the question of what geodesics look like on a conformal diagram isn't one that most authors would probably care about. The equations used for mapping also have a high degree of arbitrariness built into them (as discussed in the Winitzki book), so an equation for a geodesic is not anything fundamental about physics.

Related to T constant lines in Minkowski Conformal Diagram

1) What are T constant lines in Minkowski Conformal Diagram?

T constant lines in Minkowski Conformal Diagram represent the set of points in spacetime where the time coordinate (T) remains constant. This means that all events on a T constant line occur at the same time.

2) How are T constant lines depicted in Minkowski Conformal Diagram?

In Minkowski Conformal Diagram, T constant lines are represented as diagonal lines that are perpendicular to the light cone. The slope of these lines depends on the speed of an object relative to the observer.

3) Why are T constant lines important in Minkowski Conformal Diagram?

T constant lines play a crucial role in understanding the geometry of spacetime in special relativity. They help us visualize how the position and motion of an object can affect the perception of time and space.

4) What is the significance of the T=0 line in Minkowski Conformal Diagram?

The T=0 line, also known as the world line of the observer, represents the present moment for the observer. It divides the diagram into the past and future regions, with events in the past occurring below the line and events in the future occurring above the line.

5) Can T constant lines cross in Minkowski Conformal Diagram?

No, T constant lines cannot cross in Minkowski Conformal Diagram as this would imply two events occurring at the same time. However, they can intersect at a right angle, indicating that two events are simultaneous for a particular observer.