Solving Tailor Series Question: My Attempt and Explanation

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, using the series expansion of sin(2x) and (1+u)^{1/3}, you can find the series for the cube root. However, you may not be able to find the series for x^1/3 using this method, as the first two terms of the series may be zero.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok first of all, since we are cube rooting, to get O(x^4) the series inside the cube root must be continued up to the 12th power. Also, you have the right series for the thing inside. Just put that into the Taylor Series for the cube root. It might not work though, because of troubles involved with the cube roots series.

i tried to build the series for x^1/3
in order to do that I've built the first derivative
the 2nd etc..
but when i put 0 in the derivative i get zeros for each member
so the series for the cube root is the cube root itself

so my other idea is the take this function as a whole and make a series
out of it
using the derivatives till the 4th power
which is very long .

is there any other way
because the first way is not working
?

Use the series expansion

[tex](1+u)^\alpha=1+\alpha\, u+\dots+\frac{\alpha\,(\alpha-1)\dots (\alpha-n+1)}{n!}\, u^n+\dots[/tex]

The series expansion of [itex]\sin(2\,x)[/itex] is

[tex]\sin(2\,x)=2\,x-\frac{2^3}{3!}\,x^3+\frac{2^4}{5!}\,x^5+\dots \quad (1)[/tex]

and the series expansion of [itex](1+u)^{1/3}[/itex] is

[tex](1+u)^{1/3}=1+\frac{1}{3}\,u-\frac{1}{9}\,u^2+\frac{5}{81}\,u^3-\frac{10}{243}\,u^4+\dots[/tex]

For the 4th power is enough to plug for [itex]u[/itex] the first two terms of (1)

i tried to use this formula but i didnt understand how the "n" member
works

[tex]n=2\rightarrow \frac{\alpha\,(\alpha-1)}{2!}[/tex]

[tex]n=3\rightarrow \frac{\alpha\,(\alpha-1)\,(\alpha-2)}{3!}[/tex]

[tex]n=4\rightarrow \frac{\alpha\,(\alpha-1)\,(\alpha-2)\,(\alpha-3)}{4!}[/tex]

[tex]\dots\dots\dots\dots\dots\dots[/tex]

i got to the conclution that it doesn't matter
what what the length of each series as long as in the end we get
a series that on the 4th power
or on the 5th power in which case we delete the 5th power member

is that true??

Ok basically for now, yes, continue the series for an infinite number of terms, then truncate at the end. With time you will learn short cuts with the Big-Oh notation, but practice makes perfect.

1. How do you solve a tailor series question?

To solve a tailor series question, you first need to understand the concept of tailor series and its formula. Then, you need to identify the function and its derivatives. After that, you can use the tailor series formula to find the coefficients and plug them into the formula to get the final solution.

2. What is the formula for tailor series?

The formula for tailor series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... where f(a) is the value of the function at a, f'(a) is the first derivative of the function at a, and so on.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a tailor series question?

Some common mistakes when solving a tailor series question include using the wrong formula, not properly identifying the function and its derivatives, and making calculation errors while finding the coefficients. It is important to double check all the steps and calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. How important is it to simplify the tailor series before plugging in values?

Simplifying the tailor series before plugging in values is very important as it helps in reducing the chances of making errors and also makes the calculation process easier and faster. It also helps in understanding the solution better.

5. Can tailor series be used to approximate any function?

Yes, tailor series can be used to approximate any function as long as the function is smooth and has enough derivatives at the point of approximation. However, for some functions, the tailor series may not converge to the exact solution and may only be an approximation.