Tapping a steel rod with a hammer-standing waves

In summary, the problem involves a rod of length l and speed of a transverse wave v_w, and asks for the possible frequencies f_i. The rod is held in the centre, where a node exists. The equation v_w = \lambda * f_i is used to relate wavelength to length. The ends of the rod are presumed to be free, with nodes at the fixed end and antinodes at the free end. However, there is a conceptual problem as to why the ends are antinodes. The explanation for this is not yet clear, but it is hoped that there is a similar physical explanation as for longitudinal waves in an air tube.
redbeard

Homework Statement

so the rod is of length l, and the speed of a transverse wave is v_w. It asks for the possible frequencies f_i. The rod is held in the centre so a node exists here.

Homework Equations

look below

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v_w = [tex]\lambda[/tex] * f_i

So it follows that i must find an expression relating wavelength to length. Here is where I run into my problem, it being conceptual. I don't know what occurs at the ends of the rods. I saw a picture somewhere and it appeared to be antinodes but I don't understand why. Could someone give me an explanation?

I would personally think that there could be nodes and antinodes but I'm not sure of this.

Thanks, Redbeard

Physics news on Phys.org
Nodes are at the fixed end and antinodes at the free end. Presumably, the ends of the rod are free, as the problem says that it is held in the centre.

ehild

Yes, but that doesn't quite explain it for me. Why are the ends anti-nodes?

Like if you think of longitudinal waves in an air tube being made at one end and going towards an open end, the pressure difference at the open end is 0 and so the displacement is at a max (an anti-node). This makes physically intuitive sense.

I was kinda hoping there was some sort of similar explanation for anti-nodes at the ends of the rod? What is a physical explanation of what is happening here?

Redbeard

Last edited:

FAQ: Tapping a steel rod with a hammer-standing waves

1. What is "Tapping a steel rod with a hammer-standing waves"?

Tapping a steel rod with a hammer-standing waves is an experiment that demonstrates the concept of standing waves in a solid medium, such as a steel rod. This experiment involves tapping a steel rod with a hammer at various points along its length and observing the standing waves that are produced.

2. How does tapping a steel rod with a hammer create standing waves?

When a steel rod is tapped with a hammer, it creates a disturbance or vibration that travels along the length of the rod. This vibration reflects off the ends of the rod and interferes with the original vibration, creating standing waves. These standing waves are characterized by points along the rod that appear to be stationary while other points continue to vibrate.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves in this experiment?

The formation of standing waves in this experiment is affected by the frequency of the tapping, the length and thickness of the steel rod, and the speed of sound in the medium (which depends on its density and elasticity). The distance between the tapping point and the end of the rod also plays a role in the formation of standing waves.

4. What can we learn from this experiment about standing waves?

This experiment helps us understand the concept of standing waves and their properties, such as nodes and antinodes. It also demonstrates how the frequency of tapping and the length of the medium can affect the wavelength and the number of standing waves that are produced. Additionally, this experiment can be used to calculate the speed of sound in the medium.

5. How is this experiment relevant to real-world applications?

The concept of standing waves is important in various fields, such as acoustics, music, and engineering. Understanding standing waves can help in the design of musical instruments, such as stringed instruments, and in the development of soundproofing materials. In engineering, standing waves can cause unwanted vibrations in structures, and this experiment can help in understanding and mitigating these vibrations.