Tarzan swinging on a vine -- At what angle does the vine break?

In summary, the problem involves Tarzan swinging from a cliff on a vine that is 18 meters long. The vine will break if the force exceeds 700 N. The initial and final heights are needed to solve the problem, and the starting angle can be found using the length of the vine and the vertical drop of 3.2 m. However, finding the starting angle is not necessary as it does not directly impact the solution.
Vc91

Homework Statement

Tarzan who weighs 688 N swings from a cliff at the end of a vine 18 m long. From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing he descends by 3.2 m. The vine will break if the force exceeds 700 N. Find the angle with the vertical at which the vine breaks.

Homework Equations

T-mgcos(x) = mv^2/r
Mgh initial = mgh final + 1/2mv^2 final

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble figuring out what to put for initial and final heights. For initial height I got rcosx and final is (r-rcosx)? Therefore due to conservation of energy
Mgrcos(x)=(r-rcos(x))mg + 1/2 mv^2. Can someone please let me know if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't (r - r cos x) imply that the vine breaks at x = 90 deg.?
I think the problem assumes the initial angle from the vertical is 90 deg.

Would it be rcosx-r then? I'm just not sure how to find the appropriate height since the problem says that the height from the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing is 3.2 m but I know that you are not supposed to just simply plug in 3.2 m for h in the conservation of energy equation.

J Hann said:
Doesn't (r - r cos x) imply that the vine breaks at x = 90 deg.?
I think the problem assumes the initial angle from the vertical is 90 deg.
From the start of the swing to the bottom of the arc is only 3.2 m . So no, the vine does not start at 90°. The starting angle will have to be found.

Vc91 said:
Would it be rcosx-r then? I'm just not sure how to find the appropriate height since the problem says that the height from the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing is 3.2 m but I know that you are not supposed to just simply plug in 3.2 m for h in the conservation of energy equation.
I missed the fact that the vine is 18 meters long so you could find the initial angle
using 18 meters for the length of the vine and the vertical drop from that
point is 3.2 m to the bottom of the swing.
(Then, of course, he really wouldn't drop 3.2 m if the vine breaks
before he reaches the vertical point of the swing)
The problem seems to be a little vague on that point, but I think
that somehow you need to find the initial angle because the
tension on the vine at any point depends on the angle from the vertical at that point.

gneill said:
The starting angle will have to be found.
That is not necessary.

Vc91 said:
For initial height I got rcosx and final is (r-rcosx)?
Did you draw a diagram?

What point are you taking as zero height?
If the lowest point of the swing, that would be at angle 0, yes? Check your general expression for height at angle x against that.

J Hann said:
I missed the fact that the vine is 18 meters long so you could find the initial angle
using 18 meters for the length of the vine and the vertical drop from that
point is 3.2 m to the bottom of the swing.
(Then, of course, he really wouldn't drop 3.2 m if the vine breaks
before he reaches the vertical point of the swing)
The problem seems to be a little vague on that point, but I think
that somehow you need to find the initial angle because the
tension on the vine at any point depends on the angle from the vertical at that point.
haruspex said:
That is not necessary.

I get h / L = .0174 for the vertical distance fallen..
If that is the case, then what does 3.2 m have to do with the problem
unless that is used to determine the starting angle.

J Hann said:
what does 3.2 m have to do with the problem
unless that is used to determine the starting angle.
It is needed to solve the problem, and you could use it to find the start angle, but doing so is unnecessary extra work.

1. What factors affect the angle at which the vine breaks when Tarzan swings on it?

The angle at which the vine breaks when Tarzan swings on it is affected by several factors, including the weight and velocity of Tarzan, the thickness and elasticity of the vine, and the force applied by Tarzan's grip on the vine.

2. How does the angle at which the vine breaks affect Tarzan's swing?

The angle at which the vine breaks can greatly impact Tarzan's swing. If the angle is too shallow, the vine may not break at all and Tarzan will not get the desired momentum. If the angle is too steep, the vine may break too early and Tarzan could fall or lose control of his swing.

3. Is there an optimal angle for Tarzan's swing to prevent the vine from breaking?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for Tarzan's swing that can help prevent the vine from breaking. This angle depends on the factors mentioned in the first question and can vary for each individual swing. Generally, a slightly downward angle (around 45 degrees) tends to be the most efficient for a safe and successful swing.

4. Can the angle at which the vine breaks be calculated or predicted?

Yes, the angle at which the vine breaks can be calculated or predicted using principles of physics, such as the laws of motion and the properties of elasticity. However, the accuracy of the calculation will depend on the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made.

5. How can scientists study the angle at which the vine breaks when Tarzan swings on it?

Scientists can use various methods to study the angle at which the vine breaks when Tarzan swings on it. This could include conducting experiments in controlled environments, using mathematical models and simulations, and analyzing footage of Tarzan swinging on vines in the wild. These approaches can help scientists understand the mechanics of Tarzan's swing and potentially improve the accuracy of their predictions.