1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion

1. Dec 24, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]V = 2\pi \sigma(\sqrt{R^2+a^2}-R)[/tex]

Show that for large R,

[tex]V \approx \frac{\pi a^2 \sigma}{R}[/tex]

I figured if I could develop the MacLaurin serie with respect to an expression in R such that when R is very large, this expression is near zero, then the first 1 or 2 terms should be a fairly good aproximation. But I can't find such an expression.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2004 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The given expression approaches zero for large R.

I get the given answer, if you find the Taylor series with respect to a. The first derivative term is 0, and the second derivative term is the answer. I think for a rigorous answer, you'll have to show that the condition for convergence is satisfied...

4. Dec 24, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I did a few similar exercices since my original post and now I clearly see how to do this one:

[tex]V = 2\pi \sigma(\sqrt{R^2+a^2}-R) = 2\pi \sigma R(\sqrt{1+a^2/R^2}-1)[/tex]

The first two terms of the binomial epansion of [itex](1+a^2/R^2)^{1/2}[/itex] give the answer.

5. Dec 24, 2004 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's funny how your way works too though... it means there's no difference in how V "behaves" when it's R that's very large from when it's a that's very near 0. :eek: Is this pure coincidence? In which kind of function will this sort of symetry happen ?

6. Dec 24, 2004 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Not coincidence... I believe it's the same Taylor expansion. If each of us continued our expansion we'd get the same terms.

7. Dec 25, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The proper expansion parameter is a/R; hence, it doesn't matter whether a is small or R big. In both cases, a/R is small.
    This is readily seen by rewriting V as:

[tex]V=\frac{2\pi\sigma{a}^{2}}{R(1+\sqrt{1+(\frac{a}{R})^{2}})}=2\pi\sigma{a}\frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{1+\epsilon^{2}}},\epsilon=\frac{a}{R}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  8. Dec 25, 2004 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

....I see !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?