Taylor Series Expansion for the Relativistic Factor of Momentum

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Taylor expansion to find an approximate expression for the relativistic factor γ for small v. The equation is substituted with X=V/C, and the Maclaurin series is used to find the parts of the equation. However, there is an error in the derivatives used and the correct values should be plugged into the series expansion.
leejqs

Homework Statement

Using the technique of Taylor expansion, find an approximate expression for the relativistic factor γ for small v (i.e., expanded around v = 0) that is correct to order v2.

Homework Equations

γ=1/SQRT(1+ V2/C2). But in class, my professor just substituted X=V/C, so the equation became γ=1/SQRT(1-X2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to expand the function γ(v) with v at 0...
γ(v)=1+γ'(0)(X-0)+(1/2)γ''(0)(X-0)2
However, this expression wasn't correct. I'm not really sure how else to expand it! Any help would be much, much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
leejqs said:

Homework Statement

Using the technique of Taylor expansion, find an approximate expression for the relativistic factor γ for small v (i.e., expanded around v = 0) that is correct to order v2.

Homework Equations

γ=1/SQRT(1+ V2/C2). But in class, my professor just substituted X=V/C, so the equation became γ=1/SQRT(1-X2).
With that substitution, you get y = 1/sqrt(1 + x2).
leejqs said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to expand the function γ(v) with v at 0...
γ(v)=1+γ'(0)(X-0)+(1/2)γ''(0)(X-0)2
This is really y(x) with x at 0. If v = 0, then x = 0. It's very likely that the sign error above is affecting what you got for your Maclaurin series.
leejqs said:
However, this expression wasn't correct. I'm not really sure how else to expand it! Any help would be much, much appreciated, thanks!

Sorry for that typo! The actual function is y=1/SQRT(1-V2/C2).

In finding the parts of this maclaurin series, I have...
y(0)=1/SQRT(1-X2)(X-0)0=1
y'(0)=(1/2)(1-X2)(-3/2)*X2
y''(0)=(1/2)(1-X2)(-3/2)*X2+(1-X2)(-3/2)*(1-X2)(-5/2)*3X4

Sorry for my lack of showing my work, but I believe those expressions are right
when using the yn(v)=[f(n)(X0(X-X0)n]/n!

how to Put the Boolean function q'r + p'q' + pq'r' into DNF and find a simpler representation for the function using a Karnaugh map. Show the output of this simpler function is the same as in question 1 for p = 1, q = 1, r = 0.

leejqs said:
Sorry for that typo! The actual function is y=1/SQRT(1-V2/C2).

In finding the parts of this maclaurin series, I have...
y(0)=1/SQRT(1-X2)(X-0)0=1
y'(0)=(1/2)(1-X2)(-3/2)*X2
y''(0)=(1/2)(1-X2)(-3/2)*X2+(1-X2)(-3/2)*(1-X2)(-5/2)*3X4

Sorry for my lack of showing my work, but I believe those expressions are right
when using the yn(v)=[f(n)(X0(X-X0)n]/n!
Your derivatives are wrong because you're mixing in stuff from the series expansion. You should have:

[tex]y(X)=1/\sqrt{1-X^2} \rightarrow y(0)=1[/tex]
[tex]y'(X)=X/(1-X^2)^{-3/2} \rightarrow y'(0)=0[/tex]

and so on. You then plug these values for y(0), y'(0), y''(0) into the series expansion.

1. What is the Taylor series expansion for the relativistic factor of momentum?

The Taylor series expansion for the relativistic factor of momentum is a mathematical representation of the relationship between momentum and velocity in the theory of special relativity. It is an infinite series that approximates the relativistic factor, which is a correction factor that accounts for the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

2. Why is the Taylor series expansion important in the study of relativity?

The Taylor series expansion allows us to approximate the relativistic factor for velocities that are close to the speed of light. This is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds, which is a fundamental aspect of the theory of special relativity.

3. How is the Taylor series expansion derived?

The Taylor series expansion for the relativistic factor of momentum can be derived using the binomial theorem and the Lorentz transformation equations. It involves expanding the relativistic factor in powers of the velocity, and then simplifying the resulting terms.

4. What are the limitations of the Taylor series expansion for the relativistic factor of momentum?

The Taylor series expansion is an approximation and therefore has limitations. It only accurately describes the relativistic factor for velocities close to the speed of light. As the velocity approaches the speed of light, the series becomes increasingly inaccurate and more terms are needed to improve the approximation.

5. How is the Taylor series expansion used in practical applications?

The Taylor series expansion is used in various practical applications in the fields of physics and engineering. For example, it is used in calculations for particle accelerators, space travel, and GPS systems. It allows us to make accurate predictions and corrections for the effects of special relativity in these systems.