1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature and Heat

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    At a fabrication plant, a hot metal forging has a mass of 76 kg and a specific heat capacity of 430 J/(kg · °C). To harden it, the forging is immersed in 710 kg of oil that has a temperature of 32°C and a specific heat capacity of 2900 J/(kg · °C). The final temperature of the oil and forging at thermal equilibrium is 46°C. Assuming that heat flows only between the forging and the oil, determine the initial temperature of the forging.

(the sub 1 refers to the metal, the o refers to the oil)
    what I assumed I would do for this is say:
    [tex]m_{1}c_{1}T_{1}=m_{o}c_{o}(\Delta T_{o} - 46^o C)[/tex]
    [tex]T_{1}=\frac{m_{o}c_{o}(\Delta T_{o} - 46^o C)}{m_{1}c_{1}}[/tex]

That, unfortunately, is wrong...
    any help would be great ... this is due in an hour.

I also have a problem with this question:
    A precious-stone dealer wishes to find the specific heat capacity of a 0.032 kg gemstone. The specimen is heated to 95.0°C and then placed in a 0.10 kg copper vessel that contains 0.083 kg of water at equilibrium at 25.0°C. The loss of heat to the external environment is negligible. When equilibrium is established, the temperature is 28.5°C. What is the specific heat capacity of the specimen?

for this one i used the same
    [tex]c_{1}m_{1}\Delta T_{1}=c_{2}m_{2}\Delta T_{2}[/tex]
    formula, but it was wrong again... Am I even using the correct formula? Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first problem,u assumed wrongly that the temperature of the metal is kept constant at 46°...Redo the thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?