Temperature change boiling water

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation mcΔT(water) + mcΔT(copper calorimeter) + mcΔT(iron) = 0 to calculate the mass of iron used in a calorimetry experiment. The iron is heated to 100°C in boiling water and then transferred to a calorimeter with water and copper. The final temperature is 25.2°C, and the iron loses heat while the water and copper gain heat. The correct specific heat for copper is 0.385 or 0.386 KJ/kg-K, and using this information, the mass of iron is calculated to be 0.100kg.
lilkrazyrae
An iron cylinder is heated to 100.degrees C in boiling water ant then transferred to 145.0 grams of water in a 70.0 gram copper calorimeter at 20.0 degrees C. If the final temperature is 25.2 degrees C find the mass of iron used.

Would I use mL(Boiling water)+mcT(water)+mcT(coper calorimeter) +mcT (iron)?

And what would be negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
The iron will lose heat, so its temperature must decrease from 100°C to Tf = 25.2°C.

The 145 grams of water and the 70 g of copper in the calorimeter will experience a temperature increase from 20°C to Tf = 25.2°C.

Ok so is that the right equation because it keeps giving me a negative

Try, mc[itex]\Delta{T}[/itex](water)+mc[itex]\Delta{T}[/itex](copper calorimeter) +mc[itex]\Delta{T}[/itex] (iron) = 0.

The boiling water has nothing to do with the heat transfer. The only significant factor as far as boiling water is concerned is that the iron is heated to 100°C.

Ok so I've got (.1450)(4.186)(5.2) +(.070)(.85)(5.2) +(m)(.44)(-74.8)Which gives me 8.8194=2.912m and m=.255kg
So the iron cylinder is going to have more mass than the water and the calorimeter?

Oops! so (.1450)(4.186)(5.2) +(.070)(.385)(5.2) +(m)(.44)(-74.8) which gives me 3.296384=32.912m which gives the mass to be .100kg this makes more sense thanks!

1. What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius) at sea level. It can vary slightly depending on altitude and atmospheric pressure.

2. Why does water boil at a certain temperature?

Water boils at a certain temperature because at that point, the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure. This causes the liquid to turn into vapor, or steam.

3. Can the boiling point of water change?

Yes, the boiling point of water can change. As mentioned before, it can vary slightly depending on altitude and atmospheric pressure. It can also change if impurities are added to the water, which can affect its vapor pressure.

4. Does the boiling point of water change when the volume changes?

The boiling point of water does not change when the volume changes. However, if the volume decreases, the pressure increases which can cause the boiling point to increase slightly.

5. How does temperature affect the boiling point of water?

Increasing the temperature will increase the boiling point of water. This is because as the temperature rises, the vapor pressure of the liquid also increases, making it harder for the atmospheric pressure to overcome and cause boiling.