Will Two Thermometers in Water at 50 Celsius Have the Same Temperature?

This means that the temperature readings of the mercury and alcohol thermometers may not be the same, even though they are in the same 50 degrees Celsius water. In summary, if the thermometers reach equilibrium with the water, they will have the same temperature, regardless of the different heat capacities of the mercury and alcohol. However, the time it takes for them to reach equilibrium may differ.
Science Proff
I was wondering; if a water is say at a temperature of 50 Celsius and we put two thermometers into it, one which is a mercury in glass and the other which is of alcohol (same mass of both constituents); when we break the thermometers directly after the readings are stabled and we measure what the temperature of the mercury and the alcohol is; is it the same? (If there is no heat loss or unreliability) I am not sure because heat is given by Q=mct and since Q is constant as said no heat loss as it is transferred into the thermometers and mass of both alcohol and mercury is same; but the specific heat capacity of the two are different so I think that the t will also differ even though kept in the same 50 degrees water (i.e. same heat energy). But is it correct? Just confirming.

Science news on Phys.org

If they both reached equilibrium with the water, they will have the same temperature.
It may take different times to reach the equilibrium but once at thermal equilibrium, they must have the same temperature (by definition).

The heat transferred to each thermometer does not have to be the same.

1. What is the equivalent temperature of 50 degrees Celsius in Fahrenheit?

The temperature of 50 degrees Celsius is equivalent to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Is a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius considered hot or cold?

A temperature of 50 degrees Celsius is considered hot, as it is above the average human body temperature of 37 degrees Celsius.

3. What happens to water at a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius?

At a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius, water will be in its liquid state. However, it will be closer to boiling point and may start to evaporate.

4. Can humans survive in a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius?

It is not recommended for humans to be exposed to a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius for an extended period of time, as it can lead to heatstroke and dehydration. However, short exposure can be tolerated with proper hydration and protection from the heat.

5. How does a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius affect the human body?

A temperature of 50 degrees Celsius can cause the body to overheat and lead to heat exhaustion or heatstroke. It can also cause dehydration and lead to other health issues such as dizziness, fatigue, and muscle cramps.